[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] Introduce new "accessibility" CSS class for skins

Jerome Velociter jerome at xwiki.com
Thu Nov 12 16:49:52 UTC 2009

On 11/12/09 5:35 PM, Ecaterina Valica wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 17:26, Thomas Mortagne<thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 17:13, Vincent Massol<vincent at massol.net>  wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> While working on WCAG we've found that we need to hide some content so
>>> that it's not displayed visually but it's used by assistive devices
>>> (such as a web browser reader).
>>> For example for label texts in compact forms (where we put the label
>>> inside the field -e.g. the search box).
>>>
>>> Another example are "skip content" and "got to top" features.
>>>
>>> Thus I'd like to propose adding a new public CSS class called
>>> "accessibility":
>>>
>>> .accessibility {
>>>    display: none
>>> }
>>>
>>> We need a vote since it's public and would be used for example in the
>>> form located in Main.Spaces. This means that all skins (ours or custom
>>> skins done by users) must have it (or the label will be displayed).
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>>
>>> Here's my +1
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> -Vincent
>>>
>>> PS: BTW this raises the question of public vs non public CSS classes.
>>

> what do you mean? In the cleanup
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Skins/ColibriClean/colibri.css
>
> there is a list of general elements, like: .clearfloats, .hidden,
> .invisible, .loading, .separator
> but classes that absolutely needs to exists are so many :)
>
> there are a few classes (I think I saw one once) that are used by a skin and
> not used by another, but in rest, because toucan was build on top of
> albatross and colibri on top of toucan, they share mostly the same classes.
>
> Jerome - .clearfloats exists in colibri.css :) thank you

Then I don't recall what it was.

Anyway, the private (internal) vs API (public) list of classes would
allow to separate CSS classes in 2 categories :
- the ones with an agreed behavior that all skins must define, and that
application (extensions, etc.) developers can rely on. (like we do with
hidden, buttonswrapper, clearfloats, etc.) -> those are APIs
- the ones that are used to "make the skin work" and for which we allow
ourselves to change their behavior, remove them, not define them in all
skins, etc. -> those are private, and the extension developers must not
rely on them.

That's similar to public API vs. private implementation for Java components.

Jerome.