[xwiki-devs] username constraint ?

Denis Gervalle dgl at softec.lu
Wed Mar 2 08:16:15 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 00:43, Sergiu Dumitriu <sergiu at xwiki.com> wrote:

> On 03/01/2011 07:28 PM, Kevin P. Foote wrote:
> >
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Is there a reason (programmaticly / syntacticaly) why a user can not be
> named as
> > follows:
> >
> >     kpfoote at something.org
> >
> > When I try to do this through the UI I get returned the message that
> > states usernames can not contain "@" symbol.
> >
> > Is there a system level reason this can not happen?
>
> None that I know of at the moment, but in the past there were some
> limitations. Maybe in a future version we could allow any character in
> the user's name.

Well, the @ is not the main problem here, but the dot is far more
problematic since AFAIK most of the right management code does not currently
work with references and the dot is considered a separator between space and
document names. So, until the point where that legacy code is replaced,
using email address as usernames is impossible. At Softec, we have had a try
with release 2.4, and we have abandoned.
To mitigate that issue, I am currently patching login.vm to replace dots by
underscores, and we have our own registration procedures that accepts @ and
dots in names as well, doing the same replacement.

Denis

> --
> Sergiu Dumitriu
> http://purl.org/net/sergiu/