[xwiki-devs] VelocityFactory API change (was Re: xwiki-velocity refactoring)

Vincent Massol vincent at massol.net
Wed Mar 2 15:49:17 UTC 2011

ok I have no added the following 2 new component impls:
* WebAppVelocityConfiguration
* WebAppVelocityEngine

However it's not enough since DefaultVelocityEngine.createVelocityEngine() does a component lookup on VelocityEngine and we need a way for it to look up with a passed hint.

I'm proposing to modify the current VelocityFactory API from:

    VelocityEngine createVelocityEngine(String key, Properties properties) throws XWikiVelocityException;

to:

    VelocityEngine createVelocityEngine(String key, Properties properties, String engineType) throws XWikiVelocityException;

where engineType is the hint corresponding to the engine to look up.

Then DefaultVelocityManager can call VelocityFactory, passing the "webapp" hint to createVelocityEngine.

WDYT?