[xwiki-devs] How to download the complete source code?

Fabio Mancinelli fabio.mancinelli at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 2 16:48:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM, Fabio Mancinelli
<fabio.mancinelli at xwiki.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> if you want to hack XWiki I strongly recommend that you give a look at
> how to debug XWiki using Eclipse.
> Here http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Community/DebugXEWithEclipse
> you can find the instructions for setting up a development environment
> to modify/run/debug XWiki from within Eclipse.
>
> The xem-web-debug-eclipse project works fine with the latest *Eclipse
> JEE (Helios - 3.6)*
> Make sure that you have the M2Eclipse plugin installed (if you use
> Helios you can automatically install it using the Eclipse Marketpalce
> (Menu Help -> Eclipse Marketplace...)) and that you import it in your
> workspace as an *existing Eclipse project*.
>
> -Fabio

Actually the tutorial seems a bit out of date because now it is much
simpler to setup such an environment.

1) Install Eclipse Helios JEE
2) Install M2Eclipse
3) svn co http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/platform/trunks/ platform
in your Workspace directory
4) Import the platform/tools/xem-web-debug-eclipse as an *existing
eclipse project*
5) Wait for M2Eclipse to resolve all the dependencies, build indexes,
etc. (this can take a while)
6) Copy src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/xwiki.cfg.default to
src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/xwiki.cfg
7) Copy src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/xwiki.properties.default to
src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/xwiki.properties
8) Copy src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/hibernate.hsqldb.cfg.xml.default to
src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/hibernate.cfg.xml
9) Click with the second button on the xem-web-debug-eclipse in the
Project explorer and select Run as... -> Run on server (you might need
to setup a Tomcat in the process)

Eclipse should open a browser and show you the
http://localhost:8080/xwiki URI with an empty instance of XWiki.
Here you can navigate the XWiki and import the default XAR to have a
functional wiki.

>From now on you can import XWiki maven modules from your checked-out
platform directory. The Maven plugin will figure out which modules are
in your workspace and use them when deploying your development
instance of XWiki.

Happy hacking!

Fabio