[xwiki-devs] VelocityFactory API change (was Re: xwiki-velocity refactoring)

Sergiu Dumitriu sergiu at xwiki.com
Thu Mar 3 00:51:26 UTC 2011

On 03/02/2011 06:44 PM, Vincent Massol wrote:
> I forgot to menton the alternative which is to create a WebAppVelocityFactory component impl (hint = "webapp"), in the same manner that I have already created WebAppVelocityConfiguration and WebAppVelocityEngine.
>
> I think my preference foes to the API modification now.

I don't like either one.

Adding the hint parameter to the API is nice if there ever will be a
need to have different types of engines at runtime. Do we have this need
at the moment? I don't think so, so IMO it's better to keep the API as
simple as possible while still serving our needs.

Implementing WebAppVelocityFactory somehow beats the definition of a
factory, at least in my view. A factory usually is a single class that
knows how to create objects of different types. Normally the preferred
approach is indeed to add a "hint" parameter, but as I said we don't
really need it at the moment.

What if we just change the implementation of the factory so that the
default hint is taken from a configuration? What we'll need to do is to
provide a different configuration for use inside XWiki.

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/