[xwiki-devs] Back to the future of XWiki !

Ludovic Dubost ludovic at xwiki.com
Thu Mar 3 13:21:36 UTC 2011

Hi all,

As many of you may know, 7 years ago, I created the XWiki Open-Source
software.  A few years ago, especially when Vincent arrived, I took a
step back from development of the XWiki product to focus on developping
XWiki SAS which allows to support the XWiki development. I've
particularly spent my time making sure that the deployments of XWiki our
Customers have been doing are successfull. I've left the product
development work to committers who under the lead of Vincent have done
amazing work in the last few years. We have provided some product
marketing in addition through Guillaume's and lately Gregory's work
which allowed to bring some feedback from users and customers and also
bring a different less technical perspective to the XWiki Product
development. Cati also joined the team and allowed us to make huge steps
forward in product usability and design.

Now, as XWiki SAS's project implementation team is doing great work on
it's own, I've decided to involve myself more in the future of XWiki's
product. I'm now the new XWiki SAS 'Product Marketing' head which means
I will involve myself in community discussions about the product
features actively developped, investigated for future development as
well as in general discussions about the XWiki Software's future. I will
try to bring the knowledge that XWiki SAS's customer, project managers,
support team bring us from using XWiki in production environments to the
community so that we make better decisions, more focused on developments
that will allow to increase XWiki's success with end users. At XWiki SAS
we have already done a lot of work to organize this feedback so that we
know more things that XWiki SAS's developers and the XWiki community
should work on.

In the next few weeks you will therefore see me work on the
investigations of future features as well as work more closely with
developers whenever they feel the need on the features they implement
actively. I will also manage the different surveys we have done in the
past to gather feedback from our community. These surveys have still
been running on the xwiki.org web site although they are now quite
outdated. I will propose to review them and launch them again.

If users or developers have any feedback about XWiki, about what we
should work on in priority, please do send that feedback on the list
(preferably). Although we have a much bigger list of great ideas than
what we currently can achieve, you can help us on helping us select the
most important ones that will make a difference.

I would like to use this occasion to thank our great community of
developers and users who help the committers every day to make XWiki
better. We could not do this without all the suggestions, ideas, patches
that our community provides.

Thanks
Ludovic

--