[xwiki-devs] Search Suggest Feature Feedback (was Re: [Vote] Postpone XE 3.0M3 release to Wednesday, March 2)

Jerome Velociter jerome at xwiki.com
Thu Mar 3 13:34:22 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 2:24 PM, Vincent Massol <vincent at massol.net> wrote:

> On Mar 3, 2011, at 1:47 PM, Jerome Velociter wrote:
>
>> On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 4:28 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea
>> <mariusdumitru.florea at xwiki.com> wrote:
>>> Hi again,
>>>
>>> It looks like we need a few more days to finish the
>>> http://lists.xwiki.org/pipermail/devs/2011-February/021938.html and to
>>> integrate the user status feature (Sergiu, what's the status on this?)
>>> thus I propose to reschedule the 3.0M3 release for Monday, March 7th. As
>>> for the rest of the dates, I'd like to move the 3.0RC by one week and
>>> keep the 3.0 final unchanged:
>>>
>>> 3.0RC1: 21th of March
>>> 3.0 Final: 28th of March
>>>
>>> WDYT?
>>
>> +1
>>
>> It will allow me to do some tuning on the search suggest feature.
>>
>> BTW, I could use some feedback on the feature (before or after the
>> release). Ideally I would like to have it activated by default for 3.0
>> final, but it may requires some more iterations.
>
> Just tried it. Some preliminary comments:

Thanks for taking the time to review.

> * I typed "Web" and I only got 1 webhome listed (the annotation one). I was expecting to see them all

Need to check why, right now I don't have an answer

> * In Document Name section only titles are printed. It's impossible to see the space name, the page name so when you type "Web" and you get several results you cannot choose

Yes I plan to fix that (see my comment at
https://fisheye2.atlassian.com/changelog/xwiki?cs=34925 )

> * I got several attachments like http://localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/download/AnnotationCode/AnnotationConfig/AnnotationsSectionIcon.png I have no clue what's the relationship with "Web"?

Indeed I've remarked the attachment name source is quite wrong. I
don't know yet if the query can be refined or if the problem lay
deeper in our lucene plugin. The attachment content source results
also are not always relevant in my opinion.

> * Very annoying: the suggest disappears after a few seconds, no leaving you enough time to read it. It should never disappear IMO (unless you hit escape for ex).

We can change that indeed. Not sure about the never though but 3
seconds is clearly not enough.