[xwiki-devs] Where do we put common build tools?

Vincent Massol vincent at massol.net
Fri Mar 4 07:45:49 UTC 2011

On Mar 4, 2011, at 8:37 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I've started creating the top level commons project and I started moving the top level pom module in there.
> However that modules requires 2 build tools: license (adds copyright license info to jars) and verifications (checkstyle).
>
> We need to decide where we put these 2 build tools.
>
> I can think of 3 solutions:
>
> Solution 1
> ========
> * Create a top level tools project in which each tool is released separately (and thus have a separate  jira project)
>
> Solution 2
> ========
> * Put them in commons/trunk/xwiki-common-tools/
> * Use the same JIRA project for everything in commons/ (ie same release cycles)
> * Note: we'll have a JIRA component  for each module in commons/
>
> Solution 3
> ========
> * Have commons/xwiki-common-tools/trunk(branches/tags) and commons/xwiki-common-modules/trunk(branches/tags)
> * Use 1 JIRA for commons/xwiki-common-modules/ and one JIRA per tool in commons/xwiki-common-tools/
> * Don't provide a commons/pom.xml file (since otherwise it would be unversionned)
> * Note: for artifactIds I'd suggest to not show the "modules" part in the name, i.e. xwiki-commons--component-api, and not xwiki-commons-module-component-api

hmmm we have the same need for the top level pom actually if we want to version it.

So the best seems to be solution 3 with:

commons/
  |_ xwiki-commons-pom
    |_ tags
    |_ branches
    |_ trunk
  |_ xwiki-commons-tools
    |_ tags
    |_ branches
    |_ trunk
  |_ xwiki-common-modules
    |_ tags
    |_ branches
    |_ trunk

with 4 JIRA projects:
- 1 for xwiki-common-modules XCMODULES
- 1 for xwiki-common-pom XCPOM
- 1 for xwiki-common-tools/xwiki-common-tool-license XCLICENSE
- 1 for xwiki-common-tools/xwiki-common-tool-verifications XCVERIFICATIONS

WDYT?