[xwiki-devs] Back to the future of XWiki !

Andreas Hahn ahahn at gmx.net
Fri Mar 4 09:48:53 UTC 2011

Hi,

I'm a bit surprised that you are just talking about features and not
about moving from a niche product to get more mainstream.
When I'm saying niche product I'm just referring to what google trends says.
http://www.google.com/trends?q=xwiki%2C+foswiki%2C+twiki%2C+confluence

Well I think that almost all people on this mailing list like xwiki a
lot and the hard and devoted work the developers are doing and all wish
xwiki and its backing company all the best and a long and prosperous future.

However I'm concerned when reading that the XWiki SAS 'Product
Marketing' lead (and CEO) thinks that it helps the product to get more
involved as a developer.
IMHO a product marketing lead should have totally different priorities.

IMHO its a misconception to think that more features will help the
product to attract a greater audience.

Just a few things that come to my mind:

* Push xwiki into as many linux distros as possible with 'one click
installers'
* Create ready-to-go images for popular cloud hosters (such as Amazon EC2)
* Talk to as much hosters and push them to introduce XWiki as part of
their offerings.
* Make it simple and attractive for people currently using other
software (Wordpress comes to my mind) to move to the more powerful XWiki

I may be paranoid but I wonder if we will see XWiki survive the next
couple of years if its not gaining momentum in the big world.

just my 2 cents

Andreas