[xwiki-devs] Back to the future of XWiki !

Andreas Hahn ahahn at gmx.net
Sun Mar 6 22:52:45 UTC 2011

Hi Ludovic,

thanks a lot for your comprehensive response.

The motivation of my response to the thread you have initiated was to
get better feelings about the ongoing continuity and the direction of
the xwiki product.
First of all I'd like to better understand the relation between XWiki
SAS and the XWiki community.
As I see it more than 90% percent of the regular committers are
employees of XWiki SAS.

This means the vitality of the Xwiki OpenSource directly depends on the
health of XWiki SAS. You might think this shouldn't bother users as this
is free software.
Now after 30 years in IT-industry I have seen quite some products rise
and fall and in 2 cases have suffered from that. So the financial
background of a supplier - or understanding its business model - is a
natural interest for me when beginning to spend time and resources on it.

Looking at the public material on the homepage of xwiki.com, xwiki.org
the discussions on the boards their focus and priorities the
testimonials and claims I doubt that there is a positive cashflow of
revenues somehow related to the Xwiki software. Reading between the
lines of your postings it seems that also vision has got lost somehow.

I don't mean to be offending - I just try to understand the motivation
and/or business model behind it to get a better feeling about the risk
of this project being discontinued suddenly.

So far its my impression that the project is financed by some sort of
generous patronage - maybe like Mark Shuttleworth of Canoncial who
became a happy and generous sponsor of Ubuntu Linux after selling his
startup.
I'd be happy to hear your comment on that ;)

Now for the targets.

a) If (in contrast to the above) there is a need to make some (more)
money in a reasonable timeframe I'd go and copycat the atlassian way.
AFAIK they are joining forces with some industry heavy weights. I think
I remember having read about SAP selling confluence licences and
services as a complemantary offer to SAP's existing user base. No
surprise that atlassian claims having almost 10.000 installations. If
you are interested in this topic I'd write more about what opportunities
I can imagine here and what steps can be taken. Of course - developing a
business like this is nothing that developers could do as a side job.

b) Succeeding as OpenSource simply by the quality of the software looks
far more complicated to me. Blogging software, CMS, wikis - they all are
competing for the attention of publishers and there is quite some
overlap in functionality - if not in the end they all will be the same.
As long as XWiki is not installed by webhosters it means that users have
to install the service of their own. Only companies with IT-department
and people with IT background can do that which is a severe reduction of
the potential user base. But bringing 'collaboration' software to
companies is more than a technical issue. Management is involved as it
needs to be confident that their companies knowledge is not being shared
with the wrong people. You need to build a reputation first to get there
- or you are joining forces with other companies that already know the
customer and have that reputation see a) Atlassian/SAP - this seems to
be far more easy than b) to me.

Beside all the mentioned features - I think an (the most) important one
has not even been mentioned.
Simplify individual design of wiki pages. For example by making it sort
of compatible with page layout software like Artisteer.
I have been mentioning it a couple of times and I know I'm getting
boring now so please read my old postings on it.
Its *not* a solution to extend the presentation admin form to support
more options.

Besides - I think that there are also some other simple things that help
better promoting the software -
- doing a video like this one
http://www.atlassian.com/software/confluence/videos/overview.jsp
- reconsider communication with users through a more widely recognized
media instead of the mailing list (for example stackoverflow.com)

I'd be interested in ongoing  discussion on all of this but please
understand it might take a while until i find the time to respond.

Andreas