[xwiki-devs] Redesign of Download page (was Re: [Proposal] Optional Contact Form in the download page)

Sergiu Dumitriu sergiu at xwiki.com
Mon Mar 7 04:25:45 UTC 2011

On 03/06/2011 01:23 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
> Hi Caty,
>
> On 03/04/2011 07:53 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've implemented the proposed version
>>
>> enterprise
>
>> http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download
>
> Looks good overall but I have a few remarks:
>
> * there is too much orange for me

> * I don't like that much the current download icon; I think the previous
> one was better

It's not an icon, but a styled character (DOWNWARDS TWO HEADED ARROW).
You can see this as a performance improvement: one less image to
transfer, one less HTTP request, fewer bytes to transfer since the CSS
text is small. Sure, a plain white character is not as rich as a 24-bit
image, but it's not that bad, right?

> * the 3D effect suggested by the "Stable"/"Latest" flags doesn't make
> much sense to me

I don't think that was intentional, it was supposed to use a styled
character (like the download one) to create a continuous ribbon, but
this isn't very "safe", since a seamless continuation between the sigma
lines and the following border depends a lot on the fonts available on
the system, on the current zoom level, on the system DPI, etc. I'd
rather replace it with a simple rounded border on the left side, which
is more bulletproof.

> * the "file" word is redundant in the "Type" column

+1

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/