[xwiki-devs] Redesign of Download page (was Re: [Proposal] Optional Contact Form in the download page)

Sergiu Dumitriu sergiu at xwiki.com
Mon Mar 7 04:51:33 UTC 2011

On 03/07/2011 05:25 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
> On 03/06/2011 01:23 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
>> Hi Caty,
>>
>> On 03/04/2011 07:53 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've implemented the proposed version
>>>
>>> enterprise
>>
>>> http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download
>>
>> Looks good overall but I have a few remarks:
>>
>> * there is too much orange for me
>
>> * I don't like that much the current download icon; I think the previous
>> one was better
>
> It's not an icon, but a styled character (DOWNWARDS TWO HEADED ARROW).
> You can see this as a performance improvement: one less image to
> transfer, one less HTTP request, fewer bytes to transfer since the CSS
> text is small. Sure, a plain white character is not as rich as a 24-bit
> image, but it's not that bad, right?
>
>> * the 3D effect suggested by the "Stable"/"Latest" flags doesn't make
>> much sense to me
>
> I don't think that was intentional, it was supposed to use a styled
> character (like the download one) to create a continuous ribbon, but
> this isn't very "safe", since a seamless continuation between the sigma
> lines and the following border depends a lot on the fonts available on
> the system, on the current zoom level, on the system DPI, etc. I'd
> rather replace it with a simple rounded border on the left side, which
> is more bulletproof.
>
>> * the "file" word is redundant in the "Type" column
>
> +1

And another (and a half) problem: if you look at an extension page, for
example
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Extension/Stats2 in Chrome,
you can notice two things:
- only in Webkit based browsers, a gray rectangular background appears
around the new buttons; this is a known WebKit bug (see
https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=29427 ) which seems
to be fixed recently; for the Download Extension buttons I used a
slightly different style for -webkit-*, avoiding the use of inset box-shadow
- the two types of Download buttons (download XWiki and download the
extension) don't look the same (lack of consistency); this happens in
all browsers; it's not quite a bug, but I'd rather have only one common
style

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/