[xwiki-devs] XWiki.org vs XWiki.com (was Re: Back to the future of XWiki !)

Vincent Massol vincent at massol.net
Mon Mar 7 08:08:32 UTC 2011

On Mar 6, 2011, at 11:52 PM, Andreas Hahn wrote:

> Hi Ludovic,
>
> thanks a lot for your comprehensive response.
>
> The motivation of my response to the thread you have initiated was to
> get better feelings about the ongoing continuity and the direction of
> the xwiki product.
> First of all I'd like to better understand the relation between XWiki
> SAS and the XWiki community.

Some pointers that should give you a good idea on this relationship:

* All xwiki open source project rules are defined on this wiki: http://dev.xwiki.org
* http://massol.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Blog/XWikiSASAndOpenSource
* XWikI SAS Manifesto: http://www.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/About/Manifesto
* XWiki SAS Who we are: http://www.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Company/WhoWeAre
* http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/vy6wgx3m5nibj4sy
* Recent thread on download page illustrating how decisions happen: http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/arqq457lnppirw7d
* A presentation I did on XWiki.org vs XWiki SAS: http://www.slideshare.net/vmassol/paris-jug-second-anniversary

To summarize: there's **no** relationship between XWiki SAS and the xwiki open source project. The open source project is made only of individuals (committers) who decide the direction of the project. In addition each committer has a veto vote which means it needs only one committer not from xwiki SAS to block something that is not "right" for the project.

Now obviously a lot of committers are from XWiki SAS so in practice a lot of what committers are pushing is XWiki SAS's vision but that's the same for any open source project. It's always people who do stuff that control the direction of the project. What's important for me is that xwiki open source project is governed by meritocratic rules, which means that anyone can participate and will have the exact same power as others, be them from xwiki SAS or not.

BTW the hard part is that once a contributor/committer has been participating for some time, XWiki SAS usually proposes to this person to be paid for what he's doing, thus making him an XWiki SAS employee and reducing the ratio of committers not from XWiki SAS ;) But that's a good thing since it means more sponsoring for the open source project and thus better quality of the project as a whole.

Again the important part is being honest and I believe the rules we currently have enforces this.

> As I see it more than 90% percent of the regular committers are
> employees of XWiki SAS.
>
> This means the vitality of the Xwiki OpenSource directly depends on the
> health of XWiki SAS.

Yes but that's true for any open source project. The vitality always comes from the people who work the most on projects. Even on ASF projects.

Now I'm 100% positive that if the XWiki SAS were to close its doors the project would live on, because it's a healthy project with healthy community and healthy rules.

> You might think this shouldn't bother users as this
> is free software.
> Now after 30 years in IT-industry I have seen quite some products rise
> and fall and in 2 cases have suffered from that. So the financial
> background of a supplier - or understanding its business model - is a
> natural interest for me when beginning to spend time and resources on it.

Actually the best way for you to ensure that XWiki open source project remains independent to the maximum is to invest in it to counter balance XWiki SAS's "influence". You have all rights to do this according to the xwiki open source project governance rules :)

That investment can be done with time, money, resources, etc.

Denis Gervalle is a good example (he's from Softec a company who's business is quite linked to that of the xwiki open source project - AFAIU, denis please correct me if it's wrong).

> Looking at the public material on the homepage of xwiki.com, xwiki.org
> the discussions on the boards their focus and priorities the
> testimonials and claims I doubt that there is a positive cashflow of
> revenues somehow related to the Xwiki software.

Not sure I understand this. XWiki SAS has a positive cashflow, I believe softec too. And I'm sure a lot of other contributors who use xwiki in their daily jobs also have such a positive cashflow.

> Reading between the
> lines of your postings it seems that also vision has got lost somehow.

Could you be more specific, I don't understand this point?

> I don't mean to be offending - I just try to understand the motivation
> and/or business model behind it to get a better feeling about the risk
> of this project being discontinued suddenly.

Personally I don't believe there's any risk seen:
* the open source nature, its clean license (LGPL)
* the open community that exists

> So far its my impression that the project is financed by some sort of
> generous patronage - maybe like Mark Shuttleworth of Canoncial who
> became a happy and generous sponsor of Ubuntu Linux after selling his
> startup.
> I'd be happy to hear your comment on that ;)

Great thoughts below but I'd like to limit my reply to the XWiki.com vs XWiki.org, and keep the thread on the roadmap separated.

BTW Ludovic here has no more power than anyone else. He's just proposing/suggesting ideas. His ideas will need to go through a proposal/vote at some point and the xwiki open source rules applies. Ludovic was just being fair by giving his motivations from the point of view of XWiki SAS.