[xwiki-devs] Redesign of Download page (was Re: [Proposal] Optional Contact Form in the download page)

Sorin Burjan sorin.burjan at xwiki.com
Mon Mar 7 09:21:50 UTC 2011

> On 03/06/2011 01:23 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
>> Hi Caty,
>>
>> On 03/04/2011 07:53 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I've implemented the proposed version
>>>
>>> enterprise
>>> http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download
>> Looks good overall but I have a few remarks:
>>
>> * there is too much orange for me
>> * I don't like that much the current download icon; I think the previous
>> one was better
> It's not an icon, but a styled character (DOWNWARDS TWO HEADED ARROW).
> You can see this as a performance improvement: one less image to
> transfer, one less HTTP request, fewer bytes to transfer since the CSS
> text is small. Sure, a plain white character is not as rich as a 24-bit
> image, but it's not that bad, right?

I don't like it much because it has a rounded shape, and our theme is
mostly without curves. IMO it doesn't fit nicely.
>> * the 3D effect suggested by the "Stable"/"Latest" flags doesn't make
>> much sense to me
> I don't think that was intentional, it was supposed to use a styled
> character (like the download one) to create a continuous ribbon, but
> this isn't very "safe", since a seamless continuation between the sigma
> lines and the following border depends a lot on the fonts available on
> the system, on the current zoom level, on the system DPI, etc. I'd
> rather replace it with a simple rounded border on the left side, which
> is more bulletproof.

The "flag" is too small and you can't figure out easily what it is. We
should find another way to implement this if we want to keep the idea of
flag. IMO the white small flag doesn't integrate nice, leaving the
impression that the UI is cool (which it is) + that small flag is being
something added with force to the UI.