[xwiki-devs] Redesign of Download page (was Re: [Proposal] Optional Contact Form in the download page)

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) valicac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 10:15:16 UTC 2011

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 06:25, Sergiu Dumitriu <sergiu at xwiki.com> wrote:

> On 03/06/2011 01:23 PM, Marius Dumitru Florea wrote:
> > Hi Caty,
> >
> > On 03/04/2011 07:53 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I've implemented the proposed version
> >>
> >> enterprise
> >
> >> http://enterprise.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/Download
> >
> > Looks good overall but I have a few remarks:
> >
> > * there is too much orange for me
>
> > * I don't like that much the current download icon; I think the previous
> > one was better
>
> It's not an icon, but a styled character (DOWNWARDS TWO HEADED ARROW).
> You can see this as a performance improvement: one less image to
> transfer, one less HTTP request, fewer bytes to transfer since the CSS
> text is small. Sure, a plain white character is not as rich as a 24-bit
> image, but it's not that bad, right?
>
> > * the 3D effect suggested by the "Stable"/"Latest" flags doesn't make
> > much sense to me
>
> I don't think that was intentional, it was supposed to use a styled
> character (like the download one) to create a continuous ribbon, but
> this isn't very "safe", since a seamless continuation between the sigma
> lines and the following border depends a lot on the fonts available on
> the system, on the current zoom level, on the system DPI, etc. I'd
> rather replace it with a simple rounded border on the left side, which
> is more bulletproof.

It was intentional to be "3D effect" because I couldn't get them to be a
continuous ribbon on all browsers. IMO the solution was interesting from a
tech pov (using the char for the ending part).

About the browser differences problems and using tech versions vs. images
one: I think we are an open source product so we may play with new
technologies and embrace them. Although I tried to make them look very
similar no matter what the browser is, IMO this is not critical. I want to
use CSS3 in my implementation and enable it on browsers that supports them
(this mean faster loads, cool tricks with few code, etc). So from my pov I
choose the CSS version always over the image alternatives.

For all the other "styling" suggestions I think is a matter of taste. Anyway
this implementation follows a mockup vote so I think these suggestions were
supposed to be "spotted" then and not now.

The code is on xwiki.org so you can integrate your suggestions on the spot,
in a community manner.

Thanks,
Caty