[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] Move sources to GitHub

Vincent Massol vincent at massol.net
Fri Mar 18 09:40:25 UTC 2011

Hi everyone,

I'd like test the waters and see what you'd feel about moving XWiki's source to GitHub.

Pros:
* Use Git instead of Subversion. Which means a better SCM especially wrt branching / diagnosins bugs (bissect) just to name 2
* More contributors since it's easy to fork/branch and we can see contributor's patches (pull requests) and apply them way more easily than with subversion
* More collaboration in general between committers and contributors
* A better SCM web site (check github.com - offers graphs/stats, views of forked/branched repos, etc)
* Good buzz for us (tech marketing)
* GitHub provides SVN integration (see https://github.com/blog/644-subversion-write-support) which means we can continue using SVN tools such as svnsearch, ohloh, our IDE integrations, etc
* Less admin work and less maintenance since this is handled by GitHub itself
* Good uptime on GitHub (probably at least as good as ours if not better)
* Improved developer spirit since most devs wants to start using Git

Cons:
* Have to learn a new SCM/new tools
* No integration of users with xwiki.org
* Import/reorg work to be done obviously
* Reliance on an external provider (but seen the other OSS projects there I'm not worried and there's no lock in since your have the repos spread on all users' machines)

IMO the pros heavily outweight the cons.

WDYT?