[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] Change default published date for XWikiDocument#getDate() instead of instead of #getCreationDate()

Sergiu Dumitriu sergiu at xwiki.com
Fri Mar 18 17:10:53 UTC 2011

On 03/17/2011 07:31 PM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I was looking at http://jira.xwiki.org/jira/browse/XWIKI-5336 and
> basically I'm like Jens, I don't understand why we are using creation
> date in feed plugin.
>
> So I'm proposing to change it for date (last version date).
>
> FYI I'm planning to change
>
>      protected Date getDefaultPublishedDate(Document doc, Map<String,
> Object>  params, XWikiContext context)
>      {
>          return doc.getCreationDate();
>      }

>      protected Date getDefaultPublishedDate(Document doc, Map<String,
> Object>  params, XWikiContext context)
>      {
>          return doc.getDate();
>      }
>
> in com.xpn.xwiki.plugin.feed.SyndEntryDocumentSource
>
> WDYT ?

It depends on what the feed is supposed to show.

If it's a feed of "new items", it should (I'm 60% for of this) use the
creation date. For example the feed of new blog posts, the feed of new
users, etc.

If it's a feed of changes in the wiki, then it should use the
modification date.

So I'm +0 for changing the default date, I'd rather make this
configurable, as a parameter to the feed generation method.

+ since most feeds exposed by XWiki are about changes, and the Blog
currently doesn't use the feed plugin, so it won't be affected.
--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/