[xwiki-devs] [Idea] Implementing a Log console inside XE

Sergiu Dumitriu sergiu at xwiki.com
Sat Mar 19 03:58:55 UTC 2011

On 03/18/2011 10:10 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:

> On Mar 18, 2011, at 10:01 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Mar 18, 2011 at 09:46, Vincent Massol<vincent at massol.net>  wrote:
>>> I'm stupid, there's no need to relate it to the AS. The AS can simply ignore those events and we can have a separate listener to receive them....
>>
>> Yes can be a special tool for that.
>>

>>> -Vincent

I agree and don't agree at the same time.

* Certain logs are indeed useful only if visible somewhere. If I, as a
user, am doing something wrong, I should be notified about it, but I
sure can't read catalina.out...

* Most logs generated on myxwiki.org don't concern user at all, so I
don't agree that we should move all the log data in the wiki. By the
way, myxwiki.org generates gigabytes of data, are you sure you want to
move that much information in the database?

* Stacktraces can't be stored in the activity stream, since it has a
limit of 2000 characters for the event body.

So, what I agree with is that *short* messages should be loggable both
from applications and from Java code. I'm not sure how to display them,
though. I can see three different usecases.

A. As a user, if I do something wrong in a request, I want to be
notified of it immediately. If I have to visit some page, then it's not
useful at all, I probably won't do it. I shouldn't see that the visited
page uses a deprecated API; this would mean that I get to be warned
about the programmer's errors, and in general error notifications tend
to scare users.

B. As an application writer, I want to be able to see all the unexpected
errors raised when people use my application. I shouldn't see expected
errors, like "X tried to change his password but provided the wrong
verification password".

C. As a site admin, I should be able to see all the logs generated by
the wiki.

These three usecases are completely different and require different
approaches.

A. should be fixed as a generic error reporting tool in the UI.
Currently there are some messy approaches to this, for example expecting
an $errors variable to be set in the context, or returning an error
string from APIs.

B. means that we should indeed make it easy to do commons-logging-like
error reporting visible in the wiki. Is this the main use case you were
thinking of when writing this proposal? There's also
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Extension/Log+Application which
tries to do something similar.

C. should instead make the current logs visible to administrators from
the wiki. I don't think that a rethinking of the whole logging mechanism
is needed for this; on the contrary, the current logs written to
catalina.out are very good. They can be accessed using the Show Log
snippet from http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Extension/Show+Log

Or send them as Events in the new EventStream (we still have to debate
about this some time). Personally I find it weird that logs are sent out
as observable events that anyone can listen to, and someone specific
*should* listen to in order to persist them. For me logs have a precise
configurable path, X tells Y to log something. Your approach suggests
that X yells something, and various Y that might be present note what
they find interesting. Sure, it's a lot more flexible, but is all that
flexibility really needed? Aren't you over-engineering something just
for the sake of engineering and reusability?

>> IMO if a listener takes time in its onEvent() it can always do that
>> message queue itself, that's what Lucene plugin do for example.
>
> Yes i know but it's nice from an architecture POV to do it at this level rather than *hope* that all listeners (including those not coded by us) will be good citizens.

Once you have the need for synchronous messages, it's hard to break that
need for purely architectural reasons. How would you implement the
ScriptExecution filter that prevents nested scripts without synchronous
events?

We could split events into two categories, sync and async, but then we'd
have two architectures instead of one.

>> We
>> dono't absolutely need to implement that in Observation Manager. Also
>> you can't do that for all events since some of them are
>> question/answer events or event responsible for setting and unsetting
>> the contexte before and after a task for example.

Well, how many logs do you expect to have? MyXWiki generates hundreds of
megabytes of log data in a day, do you expect all that to fit in memory?
The memory has the advantage that it's faster so it can quickly return
control to the log caller, but it has the disadvantage that it's very
limited in size.

>> Make the default org.xwiki.component.logging.Logger take care of
>> producing theses events so that it support already existing log and
>> makes it easier for a component than having to do that using
>> Observation Manager.
>
> Yes although I think I'd prefer to slowly move them to send events instead of logging and have the logging be done in the listener (ie turn the logic upside down).
>
> I'm not 100% sure though, needs some more thoughts.

Or we could switch to the slf4j API and write an implementation that
creates events.

>> +1 for the general idea

Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/