[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] Move sources to GitHub

Vincent Massol vincent at massol.net
Sat Mar 19 07:35:35 UTC 2011

On Mar 19, 2011, at 4:23 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> On 03/18/2011 10:40 AM, Vincent Massol wrote:
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I'd like test the waters and see what you'd feel about moving XWiki's source to GitHub.
>>
>> Pros:
>> * Use Git instead of Subversion. Which means a better SCM especially wrt branching / diagnosins bugs (bissect) just to name 2
>
> Offline commits, and offline (and faster and more powerful) access to
> the full commit history are very important in my opinion.
>
>> * More contributors since it's easy to fork/branch and we can see contributor's patches (pull requests) and apply them way more easily than with subversion
>
> + more visibility/recognition for the contributors, since they are
> preserved as the authors.
>
>> * More collaboration in general between committers and contributors
>> * A better SCM web site (check github.com - offers graphs/stats, views of forked/branched repos, etc)
>
> I wouldn't call it a better SCM site, since other tools offer nice views
> of the repository. But it is a better source *collaboration* site since
> it shows forks/branches/pulls very nicely.
>
>> * Good buzz for us (tech marketing)
>> * GitHub provides SVN integration (see https://github.com/blog/644-subversion-write-support) which means we can continue using SVN tools such as svnsearch, ohloh, our IDE integrations, etc
>
> svnsearch won't be that needed since git/github offer many of those
> tools natively, but the graphs from svnsearch are easier to obtain and
> show live.
>
> IDE integrations should work just as well (if not better) with Git.
>
>> * Less admin work and less maintenance since this is handled by GitHub itself
>> * Good uptime on GitHub (probably at least as good as ours if not better)
>> * Improved developer spirit since most devs wants to start using Git
>
> +1, I've been doing this for a couple of years already and I'm happy
> with the experience.
>
> * POM changes for the new repository configuration.
>
>> Cons:
>> * Have to learn a new SCM/new tools
>> * No integration of users with xwiki.org
>
> Do you mean that access rights should be defined in xwiki.org as it is
> now, with the CommittersGroup? I guess that's not possible.

Yes that's what I meant.

>> * Import/reorg work to be done obviously
>
> I already started doing that, I should find some time to finish

Please let's focus frist on the 3.0 final release before we start working on Git :)

> importing applications and plugins. Before doing the final switch I
> should re-synchronize with the svn repository.
>
> Should the contrib repository be imported as well?

I'd say yes. We need to check how well the SVN integration works in GitHub

> One problem is that the default size limit is for 300M of data, and
> we're already approaching that limit (thanks to the early non-maven days
> when we bundled all the jars in our repo). I think that if we request
> it, we'll be granted more space for free, as an open source project.

Well we better ask ASAP before we start any move since this is critical for a move.

>> * Reliance on an external provider (but seen the other OSS projects there I'm not worried and there's no lock in since your have the repos spread on all users' machines)
>
> Yep, a lot of big names are moving there.
>
>> IMO the pros heavily outweight the cons.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> +1.
>
> And replying to your other mail, +1 for doing it after the 3.0 release,
> but as soon as possible after that, so that we can get familiar with it
> and iron out any quirks before the 3.1M1 release.
>
> We should write a GitApp, similar to the SvnApp, which works directly
> with a git repository.

Sure but I'd rather we quickly verify that the current SVNApp works with the GitHub SVN integration for now.