[xwiki-devs] [Discussion][Update] Wiki Importer

Thomas Mortagne thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com
Sun Mar 20 16:43:49 UTC 2011

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 13:45, Vincent Massol <vincent at massol.net> wrote:
> Hi Arun,
>
> On Mar 20, 2011, at 1:32 PM, vipunreddy.n at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> Hi Devs,
>>
>> I would like to improve Wiki Importer sandbox project, by making few changes
>> to the design to widen it scope of usage, and make sure its useful to the
>> community.
>
> Great!
>
>> In the existing one (
>> http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/sandbox/xwiki-wikiimporter/), I
>> have implemented import from MediaWiki XML.
>>
>> Limitations:
>> * listener implementation is tightly coupled with storage ( Importing/Saving
>> pages or other objects into XWiki).
>> * listener doesnt include all the xwiki related events.
>> * No separate storage component, that can enable both imports and exports (
>> e.g.   export the parsed content into XAR ).
>>
>> Existing documentation on WikiImporter :
>> http://gsoc.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Import+Export+other+wikis/WebHome
>> http://gsoc.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Import+Export+other+wikis/Wiki+Importer+Enhancement
>>
>> Can i move the design documentation to Design Proposal wiki.?

+1

> Definitely.
>
>> As Thomas suggested, it will be good to rename wiki importer to converter as
>> it is not limited to importing only, So am planning to change it to
>> WikiConverter.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> Sounds good to me although I don't know enough to judge. I liked importer since I thought it was about importer data from another wiki into XWiki. What other features is there?

Millions of features ;)

At first yes but it became an event system where you can have some
exported wiki as input and a db importer as output. But you could also
change the output for a car exported for example. And ad input you can
have a database reader, etc...

Basically the goal is to do the new XWiki import/export system as well
as a lots of use case like migrate a wiki by puting a REST importer as
input and a database writer as output, etc...

Importing other wikis would be just one use case among others.

Thomas Mortagne