[xwiki-devs] [Discussion][Update] Wiki Importer

vipunreddy.n at gmail.com vipunreddy.n at gmail.com
Sun Mar 20 16:46:35 UTC 2011

Hi Vincent,

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 6:15 PM, Vincent Massol <vincent at massol.net> wrote:

> Hi Arun,
>
> On Mar 20, 2011, at 1:32 PM, vipunreddy.n at gmail.com wrote:
>
> > Hi Devs,
> >
> > I would like to improve Wiki Importer sandbox project, by making few
> changes
> > to the design to widen it scope of usage, and make sure its useful to the
> > community.
>
> Great!
>
> > In the existing one (
> > http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/contrib/sandbox/xwiki-wikiimporter/),
> > have implemented import from MediaWiki XML.
> >
> > Limitations:
> > * listener implementation is tightly coupled with storage (
> Importing/Saving
> > pages or other objects into XWiki).
> > * listener doesnt include all the xwiki related events.
> > * No separate storage component, that can enable both imports and exports
> (
> > e.g.   export the parsed content into XAR ).
> >
> > Existing documentation on WikiImporter :
> > http://gsoc.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Import+Export+other+wikis/WebHome
> >
> http://gsoc.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Import+Export+other+wikis/Wiki+Importer+Enhancement
> >
> > Can i move the design documentation to Design Proposal wiki.?
>
> Definitely.
>
> > As Thomas suggested, it will be good to rename wiki importer to converter
> as
> > it is not limited to importing only, So am planning to change it to
> > WikiConverter.
> >
> > WDYT?
>
> Sounds good to me although I don't know enough to judge. I liked importer
> since I thought it was about importer data from another wiki into XWiki.
> What other features is there?

Apart from trivial features like import from filesystem, webservice ...

1. Extension manager can use this api to parse the XAR file. (Suggested by
Thomas ).
2. Instead of importing another wiki to XWiki, we can parse the content and
export it as XAR, which can be imported to another xwiki instance.
3. Imports and exports from XWiki to XWiki.

Its like there will be a Wiki Converter API which parses different export
types (e.g. XML dumps, database dumps, URL .. ) and fires XWiki related
events. these events can be used by XWiki-importer, XWiki-exporter,
extension manager to get its job done.

So, i would like to keep wiki converter, importer and exporter ... as
different modules. What do yo suggest ?