[xwiki-devs] GSoC 2011 - "XWiki Android client"

Thomas Mortagne thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com
Sun Mar 20 17:00:10 UTC 2011

Hi Rauf,

Great you are interested in this project !

On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 17:32, Abdul Rauf <raufbutt at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Thomas Mortagne
>

> I am very excited to contribute in open source community through the
> platform of Google Summer of Code 2011. I have visited the ideas page
> of “XWiki” at http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/ for
> GSoC 2011. I am interested in working on “Google Android client” for XWiki.
> The reason being is my interest in smartphone development. I have previously
> worked in Windows Phone 7 and to some extent in Blackberry. I want to
> experience development in other platforms such as Android. I've worked in
> Java, CSS, HTML and Javascript.
>

> I am writing to let you know my understanding of the project and would like
> your feedback on it. My understanding of the requirements is as follows:
>

>   - To develop a smartphone application for XWiki.
>   - The application should be able to navigate wiki spaces and pages.
>   - The application should allow offline editing of wiki space and pages
>   and synchronise results on connecting with the repository.
>   - The application should also allow users an option to launch a browser
>   window.

That is for the UI part yes.

The user need a way to view the result and there is a lot of ways
which are not requiring the same work:
- launch the browser to the page (which will be the minimum for this GSOC)
- integrate the browser into the application if you have more time
- something event more integrated in the application if you have lot
of time but i doubt it will be possible ;)

Plus any commons sense you are thinking of since you are probably more
eperianced than me in mobile development ;)

But there is also another side of the project which is to develop a
nice android library package that could be used by any other Android
app to comunicate with XWiki.

More than the featuires what is important is to have a good
architecture (maven build, follow Andoird good practices) that will
make what you did easy to improve and add other features later by
someone else. That's the better way to make XWiki have a good android
client in the long run.

> I have some knowledge of XML-RPC client/server communication. However, you
> mentioned you are interested in using REST API for such communication. Does
> XWiki already have REST API or this API needs to be created as part of this
> project. Would you please refer me some material to study in this regard?

Yes there is already a very complete REST interface, a lot more
complete than the XML-RPC one which is why the project should be based
on it.

> I look forward to your response.
>

> Regards

Notes: I only did a bit of Android developement mostly to test it so I
will not be able to help much on very advanced Android stuff

> Rauf
>
> University of Gloucestershire

Thomas Mortagne