[xwiki-devs] GSoC 2011 - "XWiki Android client"

Ludovic Dubost ludovic at xwiki.com
Sun Mar 20 17:17:32 UTC 2011

Hi,

I wanted to rename this project to Android/iPhone instead of Android only.

I tend to think that today FULL native client development on Android or
iOS is outdated.
There are now libraries like Appcelerator Titanium
(http://www.appcelerator.com/) or PhoneGap (http://www.phonegap.com/)
that allow to do cross platform development with "native UI" look and
feel in Javascript and with very nice web integration.

I've done a prototype with Appcelerator and calling REST/JSON apis from
it is a breeze and the result is a very nice native looking application.
The great advantage is to develope mostly once for both platforms.

Also the application is tightly connected to a good mobile skin. Indeed
given XWiki's web capabilities, you cannot have of an application
developped on top of XWiki working on a mobile without actually calling
the application itself in web mode (good example is a livetable). So you
can't only interact with the content engine of XWiki. Therefore a good
native mobile XWiki application is a front end with nice "mobile"
oriented widgets for the home page, the activity stream, the search and
maybe others which then link to the native XWiki pages embedded in a
mobile skin.

Althouth native mobile application + mobile skin are connected they can
still be viewed as different projects as the mobile skin can be used on
it's own.

Ludovic