[xwiki-devs] [Design] Message stream privacy and visibility

Eduard Moraru eduard.moraru at xwiki.com
Mon Mar 21 18:48:00 UTC 2011

On 03/19/2011 04:54 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:
> Hi devs,
>
> I wrote two design proposals regarding the new message stream
> functionality (a.k.a. user status).
>
> - http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Design/UserMessagesVisibility specifies
> what kind of messages (and wiki activity) should be displayed in
> different contexts, like what should I see in my network tab, what
> should I see when I visit another user's profile, etc.
>
> - http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Design/UserMessagesPrivacy specifies
> some privacy requirements regarding messages, both from the read and
> write perspective, like should I be able to see messages for a given
> group, can I send a direct message to another user, etc.
>
> Any feedback is welcome.
Hi Sergiu,

I don`t understand a few things:

1) Why do we have as message targets pages, spaces and wikis? I thought
messages took care of user-to-user and user-to-group communication,
while comment take care of user-to-content "communication".
2) Why do we have a target *and* a scope for a message, when all of the
described use cases show that the scope is a direct result of the target?
target=a(some) user(s) => scope=sender and receiver(s)
target=a group => scope=sender and members of group
3) "to followers" and "to everyone" should be the same thing. All your
actions and messages are watched by your followers. It does not make
sense to send a public message only to your followers. You should use
direct messaging to an explicit list of users instead and it would be
private between you and them. Any message you send publicly should be,
by default:
-- pushed to your followers
-- pushed on the main dashboard
4) Re visibility on spaces. I don`t understand how that works. The
space's WebHome page is not a reliable place to have an activity stream.
Most spaces don`t have a WebHome and the ones that have are custom. The
only reliable place where the reading of messages is done is the user's
profile, under the Network tab.
5) "A user on a followed user's profile tab should see:" and "A user on
another user's profile tab should see:" should be the same since "to
followers" should be default, like Twitter. (see 3) )

A (separate) suggestion:

6) We should have a "Messages" tab in the user's profile, just like we
have for "Network". It should take care of direct messaging and separate
it from the network buzz, just like Facebook does it.

Thanks,
Eduard