[xwiki-devs] [Discussion] Customize button for the dashboard

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) valicac at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 19:21:16 UTC 2011

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 18:26, Luca Anca <lucaa at xwiki.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got some suggestions that the current way of editing the dashboard
> is not really intuitive (Edit -> Inline Form), and mainly because users
> wouldn't necessarily look under "Edit" for a method to change the
> dashboard. Also, other users that I've observed, forgot that they need
> to go in some edit mode before changing things.
>
> I also agree that without documentation no user would figure out that
> editing a dashboard is under Edit -> Inline Form. While editing will
> still remain "in inline mode", from the technical pov, we need to
> provide a easier way for users to discover this.
>
> Let's look at the following options:
>
> 1/ Add a "Customize" menu entry under edit, in the page menu, as
> proposed in the mockups from Cati, a long time ago:
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/GadgetsDashboard.
>
> 2/ Add a "Customize this dashboard" button in the dashboard in view
> mode, in the top right corner, something like
>
> http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Design/GadgetIntegration/oldDashboardCustomize.pngbut styled better to integrate with the current dashboard.
>
> 3/ Define and implement a mechanism to allow the inline form edit to be
> triggered for a document without that document having to include a
> document which has an object in it. E.g. as Vincent proposed at one
> point, trigger inline mode when an object is present in the current
> document.

I think 3) is needed. When I saw the first time the new dashboard:
- I pressed "Edit", was kind of confused that it got me to WYSIWYG mode
- went back to "Edit" menu, looked for the "Inline" option, remembered that
the new action menu does not have an "Inline" option in "Edit" mode (can't
remember why)
- went back to view mode and selected (having the "advanced" edit menu)
"Inline".

About 1), if we fix 3) this option will not be necessary. I don't know still
how intuitive "Inline" wording is, compared to this use case, or any other
use case actually.

About 2): we have something similar already in the platform for the user
profile info, and more recently for the user avatar. If we decide to also
add this fallback mechanism we should use similar style.

Thanks,
Caty