[xwiki-devs] Interest in GSoC with XWiki

Christian Pels caapels at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 20:55:24 UTC 2011

Thanks Caty for the prompt response.

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
valicac at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Christian,
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 20:26, Christian Pels <caapels at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I am writing this to be a self introductory mail to the XWiki community. I
>> am a Computer Engineering student at the University of Duisburg Essen,
>> Germany.
>>
>> I am interested in the undertaking the Android related project for Summer
>> of
>> Code,I am interested primarily in the long term project of building a
>> library to be used in XWiki android clients.
>>
>> In the area of programming capabilities, I have experience with the tools
>> and technologies as detailed on the xwiki development wiki, I primarily
>> use
>> Eclipse and have used Maven, Ant, Git and others for several school and
>> personal project (Android applications).
>>
>> (I am looking forward though to getting more exposure on these and others
>> by
>> joining and using them in an open source community).
>>

> Nice to meet you :)
> Please check out the other threads about GSOC where we already discussed
> some points there:
> - about the project
> http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/6oqjrisfei7ndh6g

 Gone through the mails sent there. but from I gather (Stand to be
corrected)  the direction for the project has clearly outlined. I like the
idea of using a cross platform to allow the application to be easily
adaptable, but not much was said about building the library.
And I am a bit confused as to whether the two are being considered as
distinct project or are they meant to be done together by a single person as
one project.

> - about resources for building
> http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/ptnaptmccfhz44x6

i checked out the code yesterday, I read from the wiki about getting a
gazillion eclipse project when I import from just the root directory, but I
wanted to see the full scope and thought well the cant be that many?? I was
wrong :-D. I can see the project is very extensive.
My question is where to focus on when beginning. I choose the import only
the Application core project (After I got amazed, by the gazillion).
But I want to know about which packages basic which will help me get up and
running quick.

Thanks

> Thanks,
> Caty
>

>> I have been able to checkout the source,  but kinda in a jungle now,
>> because
>> there are a lot of projects. Will be glad if any one can point me in the
>> right direction, with regards to where I should look first in relationship
>> to the project I want to undertake.
>>
>> Regards.
>>
>> --
>> Chris Pels