[xwiki-devs] Interest in GSoC with XWiki

Thomas Mortagne thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 23 07:51:17 UTC 2011

Hi Christian,

On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 21:55, Christian Pels <caapels at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Caty for the prompt response.
>

> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) <
> valicac at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 20:26, Christian Pels <caapels at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> I am writing this to be a self introductory mail to the XWiki community. I
>>> am a Computer Engineering student at the University of Duisburg Essen,
>>> Germany.
>>>
>>> I am interested in the undertaking the Android related project for Summer
>>> of
>>> Code,I am interested primarily in the long term project of building a
>>> library to be used in XWiki android clients.

I'm glad you are interested in the project and especially on the side
I think is the most interesting one.

>>> In the area of programming capabilities, I have experience with the tools
>>> and technologies as detailed on the xwiki development wiki, I primarily
>>> use
>>> Eclipse and have used Maven, Ant, Git and others for several school and
>>> personal project (Android applications).
>>>
>>> (I am looking forward though to getting more exposure on these and others
>>> by
>>> joining and using them in an open source community).
>>>

>> Nice to meet you :)
>> Please check out the other threads about GSOC where we already discussed
>> some points there:
>> - about the project
>> http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/6oqjrisfei7ndh6g
>>

>  Gone through the mails sent there. but from I gather (Stand to be
> corrected)  the direction for the project has clearly outlined. I like the
> idea of using a cross platform to allow the application to be easily
> adaptable, but not much was said about building the library.
> And I am a bit confused as to whether the two are being considered as
> distinct project or are they meant to be done together by a single person as
> one project.

No the project did not changed which could be maybe another proposal
at some point but not by me since I'm not convince with the cross
platform Idea.

My is proposal is focused on a very good library and a kind of demo
but useful UI based on it to serve as example for all android
applications. So the most important is: all that has to be very clean,
follow Android good practice and well designed and easy to read (for
an Android application which have its own performances constraints of
courses ;)). This also mean maven build of the application and
anything that makes release manager life easier and well integrated in
our general build. From my point of view that's the only way to have
something really maintained, improved and used on the long run.

>> - about resources for building
>> http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/ptnaptmccfhz44x6
>>

> i checked out the code yesterday, I read from the wiki about getting a
> gazillion eclipse project when I import from just the root directory, but I
> wanted to see the full scope and thought well the cant be that many?? I was
> wrong :-D. I can see the project is very extensive.
> My question is where to focus on when beginning. I choose the import only
> the Application core project (After I got amazed, by the gazillion).
> But I want to know about which packages basic which will help me get up and
> running quick.
>

> Thanks
>

>> Thanks,
>> Caty
>>

>>> I have been able to checkout the source,  but kinda in a jungle now,
>>> because
>>> there are a lot of projects. Will be glad if any one can point me in the
>>> right direction, with regards to where I should look first in relationship
>>> to the project I want to undertake.
>>>
>>> Regards.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Chris Pels