[xwiki-devs] GSoC 2011 - "XWiki Android client"

Jerome Velociter jerome at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 23 11:32:24 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:10 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:05, Jerome Velociter <jerome at xwiki.com> wrote:
>> On Sun, Mar 20, 2011 at 6:17 PM, Ludovic Dubost <ludovic at xwiki.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I wanted to rename this project to Android/iPhone instead of Android only.
>>>
>>> I tend to think that today FULL native client development on Android or iOS
>>> is outdated.
>>> There are now libraries like Appcelerator Titanium
>>> (http://www.appcelerator.com/) or PhoneGap (http://www.phonegap.com/)
>>> that allow to do cross platform development with "native UI" look and feel
>>> in Javascript and with very nice web integration.
>>
>> I support this approach too, and agree that a pure Android client does
>> not bring much to the table.
>>
>> HTML/CSS/JS is becoming the logical run-time for mobile web-oriented apps.
>>
>> In addition to the integration library like titanium or PhoneGap we
>> might want to look into a mobile dev UI framework like jquery mobile
>> or JoApp (http://joapp.com/)
>
> Again that's form an UI point of view only which is not the main
> concern of my proposal, feel free to add another GSOC project.

No this has nothing to do with UI. It's about how one sees the
development model for the mobile Web.

Now I agree it can be viewed as a different project. I'm personally
not going to add it because I believe the mobile skin project proposed
by Caty is a good enough objective in the scope of the GSoC and that
anything else in the mobile area would dilute the effort. And as Ludo
stated, the mobile skin is sort of a pre-requisite for any good mobile
app.
That's just my opinion, if anyone thinks differently he can propose
this project of course.

Jerome