[xwiki-devs] GSoC 2011 - "XWiki Android client"

Thomas Mortagne thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 23 13:16:56 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 14:02, Jerome Velociter <jerome at xwiki.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Thomas Mortagne
> <thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 12:32, Jerome Velociter <jerome at xwiki.com> wrote:

>>> No this has nothing to do with UI. It's about how one sees the
>>> development model for the mobile Web.
>>>
>>> Now I agree it can be viewed as a different project. I'm personally
>>> not going to add it because I believe the mobile skin project proposed
>>> by Caty is a good enough objective in the scope of the GSoC and that
>>> anything else in the mobile area would dilute the effort. And as Ludo
>>> stated, the mobile skin is sort of a pre-requisite for any good mobile
>>> app.
>>> That's just my opinion, if anyone thinks differently he can propose
>>> this project of course.
>>
>> The mobile skin is obviously needed and this project is not here to be
>> an alternative. And I agree with you that if it's only to provide a
>> mobile version of the XWiki UI, mobile skin is better and enough as
>> well as a lot more maintained.
>>
>> I think again you don't understand what this project is really about.
>> As I said in another thread page editing is just a useful demo
>> application of the use of the android xwiki client library which is
>> supposed to be used by any android application which wants to deal
>> with XWiki data to synchronize etc...
>

> Don't get me wrong, I understand the project and it scope, which can
> be wider than "just a mobile app" with a generic lib for android.
> I just don't think it's so interesting for XWiki right now - no offense.
> To disclose fully my reasoning, I think it's not a good idea to do 2
> SoC projects in the mobile area (because even if the projects are not
> alternatives one to another, they still are both in the mobile area) ;
> and if I were to chose just one, it would obviously be the mobile skin
> one which if achieved brings great (and immediate) value.
> Again that's just my 2cts, others might not think like this. Right now
> we are in the project ideas phase so I really don't want to discourage
> anyone to get interested in it, share ideas, etc ; quite the opposite
> actually, the more insights the better. I just gave my take on the
> story.

As you said we are in the proposal stage and the point is that there
will not be just one project to choose anyway so that's a discussion
for later.

Of course all proposals does not bring the same value to XWiki itself
if I had to vote for only between theses two that it would be the skin
but that has nothing to do here. I don't see the point in trying to
determine which proposal is the best when it's two very different
stuff...

> Jerome
>

>>> Jerome

>> --