[xwiki-devs] GSoC 2011-"Mobile Skin for XWiki Enterprise"

Jerome Velociter jerome at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 23 13:27:20 UTC 2011

Hi Supreet,

Great to see your interest in this project.

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:04 PM, Supreet Pal Singh <supreetpal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Caty,
> Thanx :)
> Also,I went through those links and the sketches heres what I think:
>
> 1. Jerome's version does look better and simple but I feel it would lack the
> ease of use as most of the functions would be present in a separate menu
> which could be reached through the '+' . More clicks leads to a less
> intuitive UI and downgrades user experience. On the other hand, Jerome's
> version gives a lighter and better look with only the main functions on the
> homescreen. What needs to be looked into is whether the main options are
> sufficient to cater an average user such that we can ignore the 'more
> clicks' aspect.
> What I have also noticed is that Jerome's version does include all the
> functions present on yours yet has an option '+' and even your version has
> an empty function box so I am guessing there are/would be more functions
> that need to be present or added.
> Personally, I am in favor of your version of the skin because its functions
> serve as tabs for dynamic lower portion of the screen, the static layer of
> links to the various functions/screens makes it easy to navigate for the
> user.

Couple of remarks :

* It's maybe not obvious, but in my sketch the lower bar is static, so
you don't have to scroll for it, it always remains at the bottom of
the user screen
* As I tried to explain in my comment, I tend to think base use case
of a mobile version is about searching + reading content and comment +
annotations. I think edit is a marginal use case. Does not mean it
should not be doable, but IMHO it should not be considered a primary
action. OTOH a good and accessible search is a must have. That's why
in my version the search bar is first class citizen, at the top of the
page.
* The search would be a dynamic one, a bit in the spirit of the search
suggest available since XE 3.0 (best is to check the feature in the
version in 3.0 RC1, due today)

> 2. Even I feel that the two scrolls on the comments page should be done away
> with instead it should take the whole page.
>

> And I am new to XWiki and its development tools so I would be needing your
> help to get on track so please bare with my newbie questions.
> 1. I have downloaded 'xwiki-enterprise-installer-generic-3.0' and would be
> following the instructions as given on
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Skins  , is this the
> correct approach?

Yes it's an approach that would work.
Also I think the mobile skin is about dropping tons of stuff, so
another approach would be to create a new skin from scratch and build
it keeping only on what is essential (to have good performances).

> 2. What else can I do to get a better know how and integrate myself more in
> the project?

An idea could be you spend some time investigating how other wikis
have designed there mobile version (wikimedia one is interesting, but
I'm sure there are others) and refine on the design proposals Caty and
I made with your own ones, what do you think ?

Jerome