[xwiki-devs] GSoC 2011 - "XWiki Android client"

Jerome Velociter jerome at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 23 13:40:51 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 2:16 PM, Thomas Mortagne
<thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 14:02, Jerome Velociter <jerome at xwiki.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 1:36 PM, Thomas Mortagne
>> <thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com> wrote:

>>> The mobile skin is obviously needed and this project is not here to be
>>> an alternative. And I agree with you that if it's only to provide a
>>> mobile version of the XWiki UI, mobile skin is better and enough as
>>> well as a lot more maintained.
>>>
>>> I think again you don't understand what this project is really about.
>>> As I said in another thread page editing is just a useful demo
>>> application of the use of the android xwiki client library which is
>>> supposed to be used by any android application which wants to deal
>>> with XWiki data to synchronize etc...
>>

>> Don't get me wrong, I understand the project and it scope, which can
>> be wider than "just a mobile app" with a generic lib for android.
>> I just don't think it's so interesting for XWiki right now - no offense.
>> To disclose fully my reasoning, I think it's not a good idea to do 2
>> SoC projects in the mobile area (because even if the projects are not
>> alternatives one to another, they still are both in the mobile area) ;
>> and if I were to chose just one, it would obviously be the mobile skin
>> one which if achieved brings great (and immediate) value.
>> Again that's just my 2cts, others might not think like this. Right now
>> we are in the project ideas phase so I really don't want to discourage
>> anyone to get interested in it, share ideas, etc ; quite the opposite
>> actually, the more insights the better. I just gave my take on the
>> story.
>
> As you said we are in the proposal stage and the point is that there
> will not be just one project to choose anyway so that's a discussion
> for later.
>
> Of course all proposals does not bring the same value to XWiki itself
> if I had to vote for only between theses two that it would be the skin
> but that has nothing to do here. I don't see the point in trying to
> determine which proposal is the best when it's two very different
> stuff...

Just wanted to explain why I support Ludovic's vision but why I also
would not add another project proposal.

Nothing else ; and indeed that's not the place to debate what is best
to do, that's why I took care of saying this was my personal opinion
and nothing more.
Sorry if this led to any kind of confusion.

Jerome