[xwiki-devs] [GSoC 2011] Self Introduction and Interested Project

Jun Han jun.han37 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 23 17:35:57 UTC 2011

Hi, Everyone,

I am going to apply for student developer in GSoC 2011 and am interested
in one of proposed XWiki projects, XEclipse "RESTification".

Currently I am a fourth year Ph.D. student in the department of Computer
Science, University of Georgia, USA. My research focuses on
Simulation/Modelling and Web services, and applies them to facilitate
bioinformatics research.

My strengths are the following:
(1). 6-year of Java programming experience including both desktop and
web development and able to perform full lifecyle software development.
(2). developed a SOAP Web service management system using Eclipse RCP
and SWT
(3). developed REST-ful Web services and integrated SOAP Web services
from other collaborators (in German and Japan) to implement integrated
scientific workflow following Web 2.0 standards

After reading through the descriptions of proposed projects, XEclipse
"RESTification" is of great interest to me. This project involves
communication via SOAP and REST-ful Web services and is developed in
Eclipse SWT platform, therefore, I might be a potential match for this
project based on the skill set.

I have several questions regarding the requirement:
(1) what is target development platform?
     The current XEclipse requires Eclipse Ganymede 3.4 and the most
recent release is Eclipse 3.6 and 3.7. Is there any plan to support them?

(2) What is the current status of XWiki communication layer?
     From what I understand, SOAP + XML play a main role in the current
system. Now XWiki is turning to REST eventually.
     I read some discussions on Mar 11 2011 about REST API in dev mail
list, which mentioned that REST API is not there yet. Does this mean
that the whole REST communication layer is not available yet?

(3) What extent of RESTification we are going to achieve for XEclipse?
     This is closely related to question (2). If REST API is available,
the XEclipse RESTification will only need to construct the REST-ful
request (i.e., @GET /rest/{space}/{page}) and parse result from server.
If not, more work might be involved.

Best regards
Jun Han