[xwiki-devs] [GSoC 2011] Self Introduction and Interested Project

Thomas Mortagne thomas.mortagne at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 23 17:45:05 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 18:35, Jun Han <jun.han37 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi, Everyone,
>
> I am going to apply for student developer in GSoC 2011 and am interested
> in one of proposed XWiki projects, XEclipse "RESTification".

Great you are interested in this project !

> Currently I am a fourth year Ph.D. student in the department of Computer
> Science, University of Georgia, USA. My research focuses on
> Simulation/Modelling and Web services, and applies them to facilitate
> bioinformatics research.
>
> My strengths are the following:
> (1). 6-year of Java programming experience including both desktop and
> web development and able to perform full lifecyle software development.
> (2). developed a SOAP Web service management system using Eclipse RCP
> and SWT
> (3). developed REST-ful Web services and integrated SOAP Web services
> from other collaborators (in German and Japan) to implement integrated
> scientific workflow following Web 2.0 standards
>
> After reading through the descriptions of proposed projects, XEclipse
> "RESTification" is of great interest to me. This project involves
> communication via SOAP and REST-ful Web services and is developed in
> Eclipse SWT platform, therefore, I might be a potential match for this
> project based on the skill set.
>
> I have several questions regarding the requirement:
> (1) what is target development platform?
>     The current XEclipse requires Eclipse Ganymede 3.4 and the most
> recent release is Eclipse 3.6 and 3.7. Is there any plan to support them?

I would say the minimum target is the Eclipse version when you are
done with the project so probably 3.7. I doubt we really have to take
care of supported previous versions, at least continuing supporting
3.4 is not a requirement IMO.

> (2) What is the current status of XWiki communication layer?
>     From what I understand, SOAP + XML play a main role in the current
> system. Now XWiki is turning to REST eventually.
>     I read some discussions on Mar 11 2011 about REST API in dev mail
> list, which mentioned that REST API is not there yet. Does this mean
> that the whole REST communication layer is not available yet?

The REST APi is already there and a lot more complete than the XMLRPC
one. You can take a look at  it on
https://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/platform/core/trunk/xwiki-rest/
and http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Features/XWikiRESTfulAPI.

> (3) What extent of RESTification we are going to achieve for XEclipse?
>     This is closely related to question (2). If REST API is available,
> the XEclipse RESTification will only need to construct the REST-ful
> request (i.e., @GET /rest/{space}/{page}) and parse result from server.
> If not, more work might be involved.

AFAIK the goal is to at least refactor all current features of
XEclipse to use REST instead of XMLRPC and if you can find some
missing API add them to the standard XWiki REST module.

> Best regards
> Jun Han
> --
> Jun Han