[xwiki-devs] Interest in GSoC with XWiki

Sergiu Dumitriu sergiu at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 23 20:06:11 UTC 2011

On 03/23/2011 08:51 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
> Hi Christian,
>
> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 21:55, Christian Pels<caapels at gmail.com>  wrote:
>> Thanks Caty for the prompt response.
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 12:07 PM, Ecaterina Moraru (Valica)<
>> valicac at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Christian,

> I'm glad you are interested in the project and especially on the side
> I think is the most interesting one.

>>> Nice to meet you :)
>>> Please check out the other threads about GSOC where we already discussed
>>> some points there:
>>> - about the project
>>> http://xwiki.markmail.org/thread/6oqjrisfei7ndh6g
>>>

>>   Gone through the mails sent there. but from I gather (Stand to be
>> corrected)  the direction for the project has clearly outlined. I like the
>> idea of using a cross platform to allow the application to be easily
>> adaptable, but not much was said about building the library.
>> And I am a bit confused as to whether the two are being considered as
>> distinct project or are they meant to be done together by a single person as
>> one project.
>
> No the project did not changed which could be maybe another proposal
> at some point but not by me since I'm not convince with the cross
> platform Idea.
>
> My is proposal is focused on a very good library and a kind of demo
> but useful UI based on it to serve as example for all android
> applications. So the most important is: all that has to be very clean,
> follow Android good practice and well designed and easy to read (for
> an Android application which have its own performances constraints of
> courses ;)). This also mean maven build of the application and
> anything that makes release manager life easier and well integrated in
> our general build. From my point of view that's the only way to have
> something really maintained, improved and used on the long run.

+1.

Personally, I think that there are very different things:
A. making an XWiki server more easy to access via a browser by doing a
mobile-friendly skin on the server
B. making a native application that uses XWiki as a back end to
accomplish different tasks

Both are important, and both are valid projects. While A helps make
XWiki more accessible from mobile devices, I agree with Thomas that B
allows richer and more advanced types of applications, not necessarily
seen as views of XWiki.

And I also agree with Thomas that trying to make a generic application
that works on all mobile devices will only limit the available features
and will offer a poor (or at least non-optimal) interaction on all
platforms.

The vision is not to have a nice skin for browsing XWiki-powered
websites, but to have a library which allows communication with an XWiki
server, which can be used for implementing native apps that don't have
to be about browsing a website.

For example, a notification application that signals when one of the
user's watched pages is updated.

Another example, a twitter-like application that uses XWiki and the new
message stream.

Another example, a nice integration with Balsamiq mockups or PlantUML
that uses XWiki as simple collaborative storage, with most of the
editing happening on the device.

Thomas, am I understanding your view correctly?

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/