[xwiki-devs] [xwiki-users] Ideas For AJAX Form Editor

Sergiu Dumitriu sergiu at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 23 20:44:44 UTC 2011

On 03/23/2011 05:59 PM, nikhil gupta wrote:
> Hello,
> I have gone though the form editing part of the xwiki,where we can include
> the fields according to the requirement.
> As per the requirement of our project (AJAX FORM EDITOR) we have to provide
> one USER INTERFACE for the user through which he can drag /drop the fields
> according to his form requirement.
>
> We can extend this idea a little bit .We will not only provide the form
> generation part but also include its action part i.e  user will give the
> name of the database where the action has to take place(if have to insert
> the record or update the record in the database).

That's not needed. The application logic is already handled by XWiki,
this is by definition what XWiki applications do. I suggest reading and
following the FAQ tutorial in order to understand better how structured
data works in XWiki, and to see in which context the form editor is
needed: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/DevGuide/FAQTutorial

> Moreover, we can also add
> style for each field where user can define its style according to its choice
> and we can also provide the style sheet for the whole form also.

The form editor should not be too complex, it should offer an easy way
of editing simple forms. This allows the UI to remain easy to use and
understand, and also ensures a consistent look of different applications
in the same wiki. For more complex forms, there's the lower-level class
editor and the scripting support in the class sheet. For styling support
in XWiki, you should take a look at SkinExtensions:
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/DevGuide/SkinExtensionsTutorial

> User will select the type of the field for example in the form there are
> certain fields which get insert ,some gets updated when the form gets
> submitted,so according to the nature and requirement, user will enter the
> type of the field.Types can be "INSERT","UPDATE","VIEW" etc.

Again, follow the FAQ tutorial to see that there's no need for such
low-level database operations. See also a bit more documentation about
the data model: http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/DevGuide/DataModel

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/