[xwiki-devs] Interest in GSoC with XWiki

Jerome Velociter jerome at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 23 21:58:03 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 23, 2011 at 9:06 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu <sergiu at xwiki.com> wrote:
> On 03/23/2011 08:51 AM, Thomas Mortagne wrote:
>> Hi Christian,
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 22, 2011 at 21:55, Christian Pels<caapels at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>> Thanks Caty for the prompt response.

>> I'm glad you are interested in the project and especially on the side
>> I think is the most interesting one.

>>>   Gone through the mails sent there. but from I gather (Stand to be
>>> corrected)  the direction for the project has clearly outlined. I like the
>>> idea of using a cross platform to allow the application to be easily
>>> adaptable, but not much was said about building the library.
>>> And I am a bit confused as to whether the two are being considered as
>>> distinct project or are they meant to be done together by a single person as
>>> one project.
>>
>> No the project did not changed which could be maybe another proposal
>> at some point but not by me since I'm not convince with the cross
>> platform Idea.
>>
>> My is proposal is focused on a very good library and a kind of demo
>> but useful UI based on it to serve as example for all android
>> applications. So the most important is: all that has to be very clean,
>> follow Android good practice and well designed and easy to read (for
>> an Android application which have its own performances constraints of
>> courses ;)). This also mean maven build of the application and
>> anything that makes release manager life easier and well integrated in
>> our general build. From my point of view that's the only way to have
>> something really maintained, improved and used on the long run.
>
> +1.
>
> Personally, I think that there are very different things:
> A. making an XWiki server more easy to access via a browser by doing a
> mobile-friendly skin on the server
> B. making a native application that uses XWiki as a back end to
> accomplish different tasks
>
> Both are important, and both are valid projects. While A helps make
> XWiki more accessible from mobile devices, I agree with Thomas that B
> allows richer and more advanced types of applications, not necessarily
> seen as views of XWiki.
>
> And I also agree with Thomas that trying to make a generic application
> that works on all mobile devices will only limit the available features
> and will offer a poor (or at least non-optimal) interaction on all
> platforms.

Well that's sound a bit too easy an argument for me.

PhoneGap etc. provide the bridge to the native APIs, so you are not
limited in terms of features. For example notifications is definitely
something you can do.

As for non-optimal, if you speak in terms of UX then I don't agree -
there are apps out there built using an integration platform that beat
down most native apps. If you speak in terms of performances, sure but
then why we are we developing XWiki in java and not compiling directly
for each OS using their available libraries ? It's a trade-off.

I will stop there because I agree the abstractions layer that exists
for mobile are not at the same level of maturity as say java would be
for servers, and creating an application/library for Android
definitely make sense especially since its becoming the platform of
choice and this is only going to improve in near future.

Nevertheless I wanted to make that point since the argument does not
sound completely legitimate to me.

You should look at what feedly (http://www.feedly.com/) have done for
mobiles. They have developed a first-class application for iOS and
Android using such an integration tool (which they have created
themselves).

Now I will try to refrain from polluting all Android threads, I promise :)

Cheers,
Jerome