[xwiki-devs] GSoc 2011: idea "Auto Completion in Content Editors" (updated)

Sergiu Dumitriu sergiu at xwiki.com
Thu Mar 24 02:54:18 UTC 2011

On 03/22/2011 03:37 AM, 许凌志(Jamesxu) wrote:
> Hi Marius Florea,
>
>       Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful for me to go further.
>
> For xwiki syntaxes, you gave me a good suggestion  that I should not
> autocomplete all the attributes for a tag, it could be added when user
> triggers by some inputs or by the hotkeys just like eclipse HTML editor.
>
> However, in my opinion, for some syntaxes, to suggest user some required
> atrributes would be helpful for them to make less mistakes, and it is more
> intuitive for them to fullfill the blank attributes which are required.

+1, mandatory attributes should be inserted.

> Anyway, I haven't gone through and evaluate all the xwiki syntaxes, I should
> finished this step first, and then think about the use case for some of
> these syntaxes. Here are my steps for preparation before coding:
>
> - Go through and evaluate all the xwiki syntaxes, to find out a list of
> syntaxes which are suitable  to implement autocompletion features

The main target is xwiki/2.0 (and xwiki/2.1 which is almost the same
thing). Any other syntax is just a bonus.

> - Design the use cases with some screenshots for them, just like
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/UserStatusProposal
> - Pick some to implement the prototype of them to get the feedbacks from the
> mailing list
> - Start to coding for all of them

Good plan. The best approach is to have something working ASAP and then
incrementally improve/build upon it.

>> Good knowledge of JavaScript, DOM and OOP (for the GWT code) is the
>> basic requirement to finish this project.
>
> I think javascript, DOM, OOP would not be a problem for me, I used it almost
> everyday for 3 years, and  and experienced with dojo, jquery, I also wrote
> some tutorial for them, GWT is some kind javascript lib like them, though
> there are some differences, I think I would be a quick learner for it, since
> now, I have learned it for a while.

GWT is not quite another JavaScript library. It's actually a Java
toolset which compiles a form of Java code into JavaScript.

Personally I'm against using GWT here, and I'd prefer something using
basic Prototype.js

--
Sergiu Dumitriu
http://purl.org/net/sergiu/