[xwiki-devs] GSoc 2011: idea "Auto Completion in Content Editors" (updated)

许凌志(Jamesxu) lingzhixu326 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 06:51:38 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <sergiu at xwiki.com> wrote:

> On 03/22/2011 03:37 AM, 许凌志(Jamesxu) wrote:
> > Hi Marius Florea,
> >
> >       Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful for me to go further.
> >
> > For xwiki syntaxes, you gave me a good suggestion  that I should not
> > autocomplete all the attributes for a tag, it could be added when user
> > triggers by some inputs or by the hotkeys just like eclipse HTML editor.
> >
> > However, in my opinion, for some syntaxes, to suggest user some required
> > atrributes would be helpful for them to make less mistakes, and it is
> more
> > intuitive for them to fullfill the blank attributes which are required.
>
> +1, mandatory attributes should be inserted.
>

> > Anyway, I haven't gone through and evaluate all the xwiki syntaxes, I
> should
> > finished this step first, and then think about the use case for some of
> > these syntaxes. Here are my steps for preparation before coding:
> >
> > - Go through and evaluate all the xwiki syntaxes, to find out a list of
> > syntaxes which are suitable  to implement autocompletion features
>
> The main target is xwiki/2.0 (and xwiki/2.1 which is almost the same
> thing). Any other syntax is just a bonus.

I install the xwiki/3.0, but I haven't found the autocompletion features for
the wysiwyg editor.
you refered "xwiki/2.1 which is almsot the same thing", I didn't catch the
meaning for  the "same thing".

Do you mean some of xwiki syntaxes have been implemented for autocompletion
features in WYSIWYG editor of xwiki/2.1?
If so, could you give a link for introducing these features.

I have already found the only doc "
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax" for introduction
the xwiki syntaxes 2.0, and after reading through, I found the newest
version of xwiki syntaxes is 2.1, so could you give me some docs about
syntaxes 2.1, and could you explain to me, what kind of xwiki syntaxes
versions used in different version of xwiki.

> > - Design the use cases with some screenshots for them, just like
> >
> http://incubator.myxwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Improvements/UserStatusProposal
> > - Pick some to implement the prototype of them to get the feedbacks from
> the
> > mailing list
> > - Start to coding for all of them
>
> Good plan. The best approach is to have something working ASAP and then
> incrementally improve/build upon it.

Thank you, these days I have read all the docs from "xwiki development
zone<http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome>",
it is really helpful for me to understand how to contribute to xwiki, I am
trying to download xwiki WYSIWYG editor source codes and building them, try
to have a look its source files.
I think it is the neccessary things I am have to do before coding.

> >> Good knowledge of JavaScript, DOM and OOP (for the GWT code) is the
> >> basic requirement to finish this project.
> >
> > I think javascript, DOM, OOP would not be a problem for me, I used it
> almost
> > everyday for 3 years, and  and experienced with dojo, jquery, I also
> wrote
> > some tutorial for them, GWT is some kind javascript lib like them, though
> > there are some differences, I think I would be a quick learner for it,
> since
> > now, I have learned it for a while.
> >

> GWT is not quite another JavaScript library. It's actually a Java
> toolset which compiles a form of Java code into JavaScript.

Yes, you are right, I am reading the docs of GWT now, it is pretty different
from normal javascript tools, foutunitly, I am practiced in Java and
javascript, though it is weild to get to know GWT at first, and now, I think
it is not so difficult, and I am now downloading the source code of WYSWYG
editors, trying to understand the structure using GWT, and aslo read some
samples from GWT documentation center.

> Personally I'm against using GWT here, and I'd prefer something using
> basic Prototype.js

It is a good idea to use some native javascript tools like Prototype, I have
used Prototype for more than 4 years, and also I am a fans of dojo and
jquery, I think the the WYSIWYG could be implemented as a prototype or dojo
module.

However, I think the first thing we should do is to work on the
autocompletion idea based on GWT, cause till now, the editor is implemented
by GWT, it would be easy to move on.