[xwiki-devs] GSoc 2011: idea "Auto Completion in Content Editors" (updated)

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) valicac at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 07:46:44 UTC 2011

2011/3/24 许凌志(Jamesxu) <lingzhixu326 at gmail.com>

> On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 10:54 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <sergiu at xwiki.com>wrote:
>
>> On 03/22/2011 03:37 AM, 许凌志(Jamesxu) wrote:
>> > Hi Marius Florea,
>> >
>> >       Thanks for your reply, it is really helpful for me to go further.
>> >
>> > For xwiki syntaxes, you gave me a good suggestion  that I should not
>> > autocomplete all the attributes for a tag, it could be added when user
>> > triggers by some inputs or by the hotkeys just like eclipse HTML editor.
>> >
>> > However, in my opinion, for some syntaxes, to suggest user some required
>> > atrributes would be helpful for them to make less mistakes, and it is
>> more
>> > intuitive for them to fullfill the blank attributes which are required.
>>
>> +1, mandatory attributes should be inserted.
>>

>> > Anyway, I haven't gone through and evaluate all the xwiki syntaxes, I
>> should
>> > finished this step first, and then think about the use case for some of
>> > these syntaxes. Here are my steps for preparation before coding:
>> >
>> > - Go through and evaluate all the xwiki syntaxes, to find out a list of
>> > syntaxes which are suitable  to implement autocompletion features
>>
>> The main target is xwiki/2.0 (and xwiki/2.1 which is almost the same
>> thing). Any other syntax is just a bonus.
>>

> I install the xwiki/3.0, but I haven't found the autocompletion features
> for the wysiwyg editor.

Right now we don't have an autocompletion feature for the wysiwyg editor.
We do have an AJAX auto-suggest widget
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/AutoSuggestWidget
used in several places and specialized (only for groups, only for documents,
etc) see
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/SpecialCSSClasses#HB2.Behaviorclassnames

A more complete integration of the suggest feature is done in the Search box
http://www.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/ReleaseNotes/ReleaseNotesXWikiEnterprise30M3#HSearchlivesuggestions

> you refered "xwiki/2.1 which is almsot the same thing", I didn't catch the
> meaning for  the "same thing".
>
> Do you mean some of xwiki syntaxes have been implemented for autocompletion
> features in WYSIWYG editor of xwiki/2.1?
> If so, could you give a link for introducing these features.
>
> I have already found the only doc "
> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax" for
> introduction the xwiki syntaxes 2.0, and after reading through, I found the
> newest version of xwiki syntaxes is 2.1, so could you give me some docs
> about syntaxes 2.1, and could you explain to me, what kind of xwiki syntaxes
> versions used in different version of xwiki.

The document that explain the syntaxes is the one you have.
XWiki supports 3 native syntaxes: 1.0, 2.0 and 2.1.
2.0 replaced and extended 1.0. All the documents had to be translated in the
new, more powerful 2.0 syntax. This translation is done using some migration
tools and rules, but this is not important. The default syntax right now is
considered to be 2.0 and 1.0 is considered to be deprecated.

2.1 is an extension of 2.0. The syntax is the same (no translation is
required) but adds some new experimental features
(#HXWikiSyntax2.1LinkSpecification, #HXWikiSyntax2.1ImageSpecification).
That's why Sergiu said "they are almost the same thing".

Regarding "any other syntax is just a bonus" there are other external wiki
vendors syntaxes
http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Main/XWikiSyntax#HOthersyntaxes
but they are not mandatory.

Thanks,