[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] Start moving deprecated plugins into the contrib/retired repository

Vincent Massol vincent at massol.net
Fri Mar 25 07:57:27 UTC 2011

Hi Sergiu,

On Mar 25, 2011, at 12:31 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu wrote:

> Hi devs,
>
> I'd like to start moving very old plugins out of the core and into the
> contrib/retired repository.

I agree for plugins for which we have other ways of doing things (either it's been rewritten with a newer architecture or there's another way of doing it).

> For the moment, this includes:
> - PatternPlugin (regexp based text replacements when running the old
> rendering engine)

+1

> - TablePlugin (pre-Radeox support for wiki table syntax)

+1

> - GooglePlugin (search and spelling suggestions)

How is this one supposed to work? Do we want to keep its feature as a component? If yes then -0

> - GraphViz (graph drawing, unmaintained for a long time; should be
> replaced with a component)

This one is useful and used by several users I know. I'd be -0 to move it out. IMO it should be removed but only once we have it rewritten as components only.

> - MailPlugin (unmaintained mailbox reading plugin)

This feature can be useful too.

-0

> - QueryPlugin (old, unused precursor of the query service)

+1

> - SVG (old, unmaintained plugin; should be replaced with a component)

-0

> - testPlugin (test plugin, writen as a test plugin to test the plugin
> functionality :) )

+1

> - XWikiUserManagementTools (precursor for the invitation application,
> unmaintained)

+1

> The remaining plugins must be rewritten as components first, since they
> still provide useful functionality.

This I agree:

- move out plugins that we don't want anymore
- keep plugins for which we want to keep the features and remove them once they've been migrated to components