[xwiki-devs] GSoC 2011-"Mobile Skin for XWiki Enterprise"

Supreet Pal Singh supreetpal at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 19:51:02 UTC 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 8:35 AM, Sergiu Dumitriu <sergiu at xwiki.com> wrote:

> [...]
> has
> >> an empty function box so I am guessing there are/would be more functions
> >> that need to be present or added.
> >> Personally, I am in favor of your version of the skin because its
> functions
> >> serve as tabs for dynamic lower portion of the screen, the static layer
> of
> >> links to the various functions/screens makes it easy to navigate for the
> >> user.
> >
> > Couple of remarks :
> >
> > * It's maybe not obvious, but in my sketch the lower bar is static, so
> > you don't have to scroll for it, it always remains at the bottom of
> > the user screen
> > * As I tried to explain in my comment, I tend to think base use case
> > of a mobile version is about searching + reading content and comment +
> > annotations. I think edit is a marginal use case. Does not mean it
> > should not be doable, but IMHO it should not be considered a primary
> > action. OTOH a good and accessible search is a must have. That's why
> > in my version the search bar is first class citizen, at the top of the
> > page.
> > * The search would be a dynamic one, a bit in the spirit of the search
> > suggest available since XE 3.0 (best is to check the feature in the
> > version in 3.0 RC1, due today)
> >

> >> 2. Even I feel that the two scrolls on the comments page should be done
> away
> >> with instead it should take the whole page.
> >>

> >> And I am new to XWiki and its development tools so I would be needing
> your
> >> help to get on track so please bare with my newbie questions.
> >> 1. I have downloaded 'xwiki-enterprise-installer-generic-3.0' and would
> be
> >> following the instructions as given on
> >> http://platform.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/DevGuide/Skins  , is this the
> >> correct approach?
> >
> > Yes it's an approach that would work.
> > Also I think the mobile skin is about dropping tons of stuff, so
> > another approach would be to create a new skin from scratch and build
> > it keeping only on what is essential (to have good performances).
>
> An interesting article I read recently summarizes how the iphone, ipad
> and desktop versions of the top websites differ in transfer size, DOM
> size, and number of HTTP requests.
> http://www.stevesouders.com/blog/2011/03/14/mobile-comparison-of-top-11/
>
> The results are a bit mindblowing. These sites go to great lengths to
> offer the best performance on mobile devices (for example storing static
> portions of the HTML page in Local Storage to save on transfer), so
> making a mobile version of a site could involve a lot more changes than
> just shuffling things around with a bit of more CSS. For best results, a
> whole new skin should be written (meaning lots of .vm templates).
>
> The problem with this approach is that it will duplicate code, making it
> harder to change things in the templates.

Hey, that was a very nice article :) Hopefully we ll also be able to
optimise XWiki very effectively for mobile devices. Also, I need some help
as to how I can about start writing the project code to develop the skin
from scratch.

> >> 2. What else can I do to get a better know how and integrate myself more
> in
> >> the project?
> >
> > An idea could be you spend some time investigating how other wikis
> > have designed there mobile version (wikimedia one is interesting, but
> > I'm sure there are others) and refine on the design proposals Caty and
> > I made with your own ones, what do you think ?

After giving it quite some thought here's my take on the Mobile Skin
proposals:
# I believe that keeping a static bar of functions/tabs on top would be more
convenient than the one at bottom due to the fact that it would lead to a
lot of clutter and presence of a lot of active buttons in a small amount of
space.
Here ( http://www.x.supreetpalsingh.com )  ,If we have a look at the image
on the right where I have tried to demonstrate as to how the edit page would
look on the skin suggested by Jerome with functions at the bottom of the
page, we can clearly see that the bottom of the page is filled with a lot of
active links/buttons making it less user friendly and inconvenient to use. (
Inconvenience may not be obvious but the clutter can easily be observed )
# Also two static bars (Search<top> and Functions<bottom>) will not be very
useful as it would consume a lot of space and leave relatively less space
for the main content of the page which can be displayed without scrolling.
#  The design proposal by Caty is according to me better but there can be a
few changes to improve user experience.
For Example , on the same link above if we observe the image on the left I
have done away with big XWiki logo which was present earlier with the tabs
instead inserted a thin horizontal title bar above them. This leads to two
things:
1. Increased space per tab which is very useful since we are targeting a
'touchscreen' audience and the larger the tab the more user friendly it is .
2. If we decide to maintain the previous the size of the tabs we get room to
accommodate one more tab/ function.

What do you think?

  '-
> Sergiu Dumitriu