[xwiki-devs] GSoC 2011-"Mobile Skin for XWiki Enterprise"

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) valicac at gmail.com
Fri Mar 25 21:42:30 UTC 2011

On Fri, Mar 25, 2011 at 21:51, Supreet Pal Singh <supreetpal at gmail.com>wrote:

> [...]
> > offer the best performance on mobile devices (for example storing static
> > portions of the HTML page in Local Storage to save on transfer), so
> > making a mobile version of a site could involve a lot more changes than
> > just shuffling things around with a bit of more CSS. For best results, a
> > whole new skin should be written (meaning lots of .vm templates).
> >
> > The problem with this approach is that it will duplicate code, making it
> > harder to change things in the templates.
> >

> Hey, that was a very nice article :) Hopefully we ll also be able to
> optimise XWiki very effectively for mobile devices. Also, I need some help
> as to how I can about start writing the project code to develop the skin
> from scratch.

> more
> > in
> > >
> > > An idea could be you spend some time investigating how other wikis
> > > have designed there mobile version (wikimedia one is interesting, but
> > > I'm sure there are others) and refine on the design proposals Caty and
> > > I made with your own ones, what do you think ?
> > >

> After giving it quite some thought here's my take on the Mobile Skin
> proposals:
> # I believe that keeping a static bar of functions/tabs on top would be
> more
> convenient than the one at bottom due to the fact that it would lead to a
> lot of clutter and presence of a lot of active buttons in a small amount of
> space.
> Here ( http://www.x.supreetpalsingh.com )  ,If we have a look at the image
> on the right where I have tried to demonstrate as to how the edit page
> would
> look on the skin suggested by Jerome with functions at the bottom of the
> page, we can clearly see that the bottom of the page is filled with a lot
> of
> active links/buttons making it less user friendly and inconvenient to use.
> (
> Inconvenience may not be obvious but the clutter can easily be observed )
> # Also two static bars (Search<top> and Functions<bottom>) will not be very
> useful as it would consume a lot of space and leave relatively less space
> for the main content of the page which can be displayed without scrolling.
> #  The design proposal by Caty is according to me better but there can be a
> few changes to improve user experience.
> For Example , on the same link above if we observe the image on the left I
> have done away with big XWiki logo which was present earlier with the tabs
> instead inserted a thin horizontal title bar above them. This leads to two
> things:
> 1. Increased space per tab which is very useful since we are targeting a
> 'touchscreen' audience and the larger the tab the more user friendly it is
> .
> 2. If we decide to maintain the previous the size of the tabs we get room

If we keep the size of the logo, we can attach an action to it too and that
would be the link to the homepage, so the logo is not just for decorative
reasons.

We can keep just the presented actions or we can have contextual actions:
different actions for view mode, others for edit mode. etc.

Another solution, if we want to have more functions, would be to have a
scroll for the actions (including a pagination for it).

Thanks,
Caty