[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] New default color theme for XE3.0

Sergiu Dumitriu sergiu at xwiki.com
Sat Mar 26 14:45:53 UTC 2011

On 03/26/2011 03:24 PM, Jerome Velociter wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 1:55 PM, Sergiu Dumitriu<sergiu at xwiki.com>  wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> One thing that was neglected in the preparation of 3.0 is a fresh
>> default color theme for this new release cycle.
>>
>> What I propose is to use by default a theme similar with the current
>> xwiki.org themes: dark grey menus and panel headers, and a lively
>> colored page header. Besides bringing a fresh look to the default
>> wiki, this combination has the advantage of having been used and
>> tested on xwiki.org for several months, so there will be no unpleasant
>> surprises (like wrong contrasts) coming with this change. Here are two
>> themes that follow this pattern, both having a stylish gradient as
>> header image:
>> - orange:
>> http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Extension/Soft+Orange+ColorTheme
>> - blue: http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/Extension/Soft+Blue+ColorTheme
>>
>> My +1 goes for using the orange version as default color theme in 3.0.
>
> I'm definitely +1 for a new default color theme for the 3.0 cycle.

Even if it's not perfect, it's a starting point, and it shows something
fresh for 3.0.

> I'm afraid the two themes proposed still have two strong colors for
> menu background color / panel header background color. I think it will
> look odd on a dashboard for example.
> I'd like to see something less aggressive in this area, WDYT ?

Personally I don't find it too striking. Here's how it looks, and some
alternatives:

http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Extension/Soft+Blue+ColorTheme/softblue0.png

http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Extension/Soft+Blue+ColorTheme/softblue1.png

http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/download/Extension/Soft+Blue+ColorTheme/softblue2.png