[xwiki-devs] [VOTE] New default color theme for XE3.0

Guillaume Lerouge guillaume at xwiki.com
Mon Mar 28 10:47:57 UTC 2011

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 27, 2011 at 04:41, Thibaut Camberlin <
thibaut.camberlin at xwiki.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2011 at 4:53 PM, Ludovic Dubost <ludovic at xwiki.com> wrote:
>

> > I'm +1 for a new color theme.
> >

> also +1 but as Vincent mentions, I fear it is a bit late for 3.0...

I agree that right now is too late for a change (though I kinda like the
orange version).

> I'm -1 for changing it on each release, because we need to have a bit of
> > visual identity.
> >
> > Currently I'm not overwhelmed by any of the proposals.
> > I think XWiki really needs a nice default "neutral" color theme that is
> > simple and not aggressive in any way.
> > It should make people ok with having that as a public web site if they
> > don't want to work on their own.
> > It should be simple and use usual colors to please the majority.
> >
> > Right now the "grey" is too aggressive. Especially for the "Edit" menu
> bar.
> > It generates a too big contrasts with the main color.
> > I'm in general not liking this menu bar more and more. It stands out too
> > much and in my view would be better as buttons on a white background,
> which
> > something making the "edit" button stands out more than the others.
> >

> Yes, make "edit" button stand out (and look like an action button) would be
> very nice.
>

> > Also the look is too "square" which makes it a bit aggressive too.
> >

> Yes, especially the panels, the action bar and the section that displays
> bottom tabs (history, attachments, etc.)
>

> > If we are going to change something we should go for:
> >
> > - soft coloring
> > - make the menu bars integrate better, especially the "edit" one
> > - more rounding
> > - a bit of color fading (in the main logo bar)
> >

> +1 for all this.

+1 as well.

If we want to change the default color theme, let's make it a planned
feature and do it right for one of the 3.x releases. Changing it at the last
minute just before a major release doesn't feel right to me.

Guillaume