[xwiki-devs] [Proposal] Modify Box Macro

Vincent Massol vincent at massol.net
Mon Mar 28 13:32:33 UTC 2011

On Mar 28, 2011, at 3:22 PM, Luca Anca wrote:

> On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 14:02 +0200, Vincent Massol wrote:

>>> Image too can be put in the content, even positioned in all the ways.
>>> I'm not convinced that image makes more sense than title.
>>
>> Indeed you're right. Example:
>>
>> {{box}}
>> image:icon:tick text here
>> {{/box}}
>>
>>> I'm 0 but I'm still to develop a full opinion about this macro. FTM it
>>> feels it needs a bit of work to define the usecases (I mean besides our
>>> own macros that extend it), to see how it makes sense for the user. From
>>> my pov, not in this way (remove title and improve image support).
>>
>> Right now I'd be in favor of dropping also the image parameter (again not talking about backward compat here).
>
> Then we drop box macro and add border and background color options to
> the container macro :),

We might not even need those params since they're already supported by using block parameters...

(% style="..." %)(((
{{container}}
{{/container}}
)))

Note: that's before we add block param support for macros directly (shortcut):

(% style="..." %)
{{container}}
{{/container}}

> and make those configurable (they're not, for
> the box).

We need the wysiwyg editor to support adding block parameters.

> Since, as we said before, there's not such a big difference
> between box and container. I think there is a mail about this on the dev
> list.

Indeed, that's a good option: we deprecate the current Box macro completely (100% backward compat preserved) and instead move to using the container macro.

It's just that for end users using a box macro is more obvious than using a container macro IMO from a mnemotechnic POV.