[xwiki-devs] [Proposal] Modify Box Macro

Luca Anca lucaa at xwiki.com
Mon Mar 28 13:51:00 UTC 2011

On Mon, 2011-03-28 at 15:32 +0200, Vincent Massol wrote:
> On Mar 28, 2011, at 3:22 PM, Luca Anca wrote:

> >> Indeed you're right. Example:
> >>
> >> {{box}}
> >> image:icon:tick text here
> >> {{/box}}

> >> Right now I'd be in favor of dropping also the image parameter (again not talking about backward compat here).
> >
> > Then we drop box macro and add border and background color options to
> > the container macro :),
>
> We might not even need those params since they're already supported by using block parameters...

Then we remove container at all. The whole idea with the container, at
least my idea, is to make it easy _for the user_ to do decoration of
some content. Since you cannot set these parameters from Wysiwyg, I'd
say we still need a macro to do that. By this rationale we wouldn't need
layout either for container either, and I think we all agreed when we
added that.

> (% style="..." %)(((
> {{container}}
> {{/container}}
> )))
>
> Note: that's before we add block param support for macros directly (shortcut):
>
> (% style="..." %)
> {{container}}
> {{/container}}
>
> > and make those configurable (they're not, for
> > the box).
>
> We need the wysiwyg editor to support adding block parameters.

Even so, I'm not sure a generic mechanism can provide the normal dumb
(sorry for the rough word) users a handy enough tool to do that.

E.g. if they want to set border, they need to know css, right? to write
a style parameter and inside it, rules for the macro border. Or editing
it in wysiwyg means a full visual css editor? If so, I think it's a bit
too much...

> > Since, as we said before, there's not such a big difference
> > between box and container. I think there is a mail about this on the dev
> > list.
>
> Indeed, that's a good option: we deprecate the current Box macro completely (100% backward compat preserved) and instead move to using the container macro.
>
> It's just that for end users using a box macro is more obvious than using a container macro IMO from a mnemotechnic POV.

We can keep box, I don't mind. We just implement it as a shortcut for
container with some parameters (border & bgcolor).

All I would want from this is a clearer relation between box and
container, and a more clean/clear box macro.