[xwiki-devs] My ideas for betterment of xwiki Office.

Ecaterina Moraru (Valica) valicac at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 20:36:34 UTC 2011

Hi Rahul,

On Mon, Mar 28, 2011 at 14:59, Rahul Vaish <vaish.rahul4810 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Respected Sir/Madam,
> I want to contribute into the xword project by developing a
> feature,this year in Gsoc-2011.
> I have a couple of ideas , which i personally feel that,if implemented
> shall prove in easy interaction with the word document file, and its
> accessibility.The ideas are listed below-

I don't quite understand, these are suggestions of projects?
Have you looked at the projects list? Didn't you found anything interesting?
http://dev.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/GoogleSummerOfCode/

> IDEA-1
> Apart from various options available in word processors, there exists
> few gulfs in the original hard paper writing and word processor
> typing.
>  Many a times and often when we type some text in the word processor,
> it needs some real world looks and feels (an informal approach) ,for
> example when we study or make notes what we do is we underline the
> things make circles around the word make arrows around the pages-
> linking that after reading this where we have to jump, etc, in short
> we do some free hand sketching work there.
> If there exist a tool in the word application where we can enable a
> drawing pencil ,to do the similar tasks then interaction with the
> document can be made more realistic and handy to use .

Regarding IDEA1, we have annotations
http://extensions.xwiki.org/xwiki/bin/view/Extension/Annotations+Application
not quite, but close.

> IDEA-2
> In a traditional word applications when we save our document, the
> window that opens up, asks the name of the file, its type and the
> location of saving.
> If the word processor would scan the document and pick up a list of
> words/sentences that occurred maximum number of time along with the
> above mentioned options then user may get an additional feature that
> may help him in selecting the most promising name for his file.

in XWiki the process goes a bit the other way. You first establish the name
of the page and then you start writing the context, so this use case is not
how it usually happens. Maybe we will change this by having randomly
generated page names in the future, but the ability to have custom page
names is a plus.

Thanks,
Caty