[xwiki-devs] [GSoC 2011] XWiki Mobile Skin/App Development

Avinash Parida avinash3006 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 21:34:30 UTC 2011

Hi,

I was working on the XWiki Mobile skins initial iterations of layouts and themes and would like to discuss further on this topic.These are some of the UI views:

http://www.globaldelight.com/XWiki/xwiki-layouts.jpg [Overall feel and look]

http://www.globaldelight.com/XWiki/activity-page.jpg  [Activity Page]
http://www.globaldelight.com/XWiki/edit-page.jpg  [Edit Page]
http://www.globaldelight.com/XWiki/profile-page.jpg [Profile Page]

I am working further on creating more detailed versions and also flowcharts for the views.

On reading the previous threads I wanted to dig in on Development point of view. I thought of 2 options for the scope of this project and its purpose.

1. Making a browser based mobile skin only by using HTML5 + CSS + JS , velocity templates and fetching the data from REST or XML-RPC. The data can be also displayed by using Ajax making it a good web-app. But this does not allow the use of native capabilities like camera or notification as it resides on the browser.

2. The use of web-technologies for making cross-platform application with JS touch framework and porting framework.
The application needs to use the phones native features such as Camera API, Notification(Vibrate) , Geolocation, File Storage and much more which are not possible via simply an web-application so requires a porting framework.
Either PhoneGap or Appcelerator Titanium will be good but i have been following both and I want to point out a few things.

Advantages of PhoneGap
-MIT licence
-Easier testing in browser /simulator
-Support for iOS , Android, Symbiam, PalmOS

Advantages of Titanium
-Easy to get native looking app , native UI component
-Better performance
-can be extended to add native feature

Developing on PhoneGap or Titanium is not an ideal form considering XWiki is written in Java but solves the purpose of making it mobile compatible.
These allows the app to be natively packaged for different platforms like iOS , Android or Symbian. This way the app resides on the phone and only minimum data transfer is required. This would really enable to access XWiki on mobile devices in an appropriate way. The main focus is to access the main XWiki features. I am still working on fetching data using REST on the above porting framework , would be great if i could get more help on this.

Hope my ideas and opinions would be helpful. I would really appreciate comments and remarks towards this.

Regards,
Avinash