[xwiki-devs] [GSoC 2011] Self Introduction and Interested Project XEclipse "RESTification"

Eduard Moraru eduard.moraru at xwiki.com
Tue Mar 29 08:53:07 UTC 2011

Hi Jun,

On 03/29/2011 12:09 AM, Jun Han wrote:
> Dear Eduard Moraru,
>
> Thanks a lot for your clarification.
>
> Today I have installed XWiki Enterprise 3.0 RC1 and XEclipse 1.2.0 RC1.
> XWiki URL is localhost:8080/xwiki/bin/view/Main/WebHome
> XEclipse connection URL is http://localhost:8080/xwiki/xmlrpc/confluence
>
> Now I can play around with Both XWiki and XEclipse.
>
> After looking at the details in the XEclipse RCP application, four
> plugins are available:
> 1. XWiki Eclipse
AFAIK,
http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/xeclipse/trunk/plugins/org.xwiki.eclipse/
is the old version of XEclipse which is deprecated.
> 2. XWiki Eclipse Core Plug-in
http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/xeclipse/trunk/plugins/org.xwiki.eclipse.core/
contains core functionality like data model, storage, notifications,
logging, etc.
> 3. XWiki Eclipse UI Plug-in
http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/xeclipse/trunk/plugins/org.xwiki.eclipse.ui/
depends on core and contains UI elements like views, editor, wizards,
menus, etc. and works with the data model and storage defined in core.
> 4. XWiki Eclipse XmlRpc Plug-in
http://svn.xwiki.org/svnroot/xwiki/xeclipse/trunk/plugins/org.xwiki.eclipse.xmlrpc/
is just an external dependency container plugin that holds XMLRPC jars
needed by the XMLRPC implementation in core. There is no code here, the
code is in core. Here you just have XWiki's XMLRPC client library that
makes it easy to talk to XWiki trough XMLRPC.
> Does XEclipse RESTification mean that add an additional plugin, XWiki
> Eclipse REST Plug-in, to XEclipse bundle and provide similar function as
> the existing XmlRpc one?
It depends. It would be nice if you could externalize the storage system
from core and make it pluggable trough eclipse plugins. If you make a
system like that, it would mean that, in the UI plugin where you deppend
on core, you would also depend on an external plugin (let's say
org.xwiki.eclipse.core.storage.rest) that registers itself to be used by
the storage service as a local or remote storage implementation.

Regarding REST specific dependencies, you could have a plugin that does
the same thing the XMLRPC plugin did, which is to hold binary
dependencies. You could call it org.xwiki.eclipse.core.storage.rest.libs
and put there any jars that will be needed by the rest implementation.
> When a user creates a new connection to XWiki server, he/she needs to
> type in some URL like http://localhost:8080/xwiki/rest/confluence as an
> entry point in order to fetch the whole xwiki spaces?
The rest endpoint for xwiki is http://.../xwiki/rest
Obviously, the endpoint needs to be specified at connection creation
time. The endpoint is implementation specific, so you could extend the
storage interface to:
- provide an example endpoint
- test a given endpoint
You use the example endpoint to fill in the UI for when displaying the
new connection wizard to the user and then you test what the user enters
to validate the wizard before creating a new connection.

Depending how far you want to go, you might also add some additional
connection options for storages that might need more than an endpoint
and a user/password.

Also, if there are more than one storage implementations available, you
might want to let the user choose, when creating the new connection,
which one to use.

These are just some ideas of how it can be done. We're always opened to
proposals :).

Thanks,
Eduard