[xwiki-devs] Interested on Project at XWiki

Marius Dumitru Florea mariusdumitru.florea at xwiki.com
Wed Mar 30 06:42:20 UTC 2011

Hi Hasitha,

On 03/29/2011 04:25 PM, Hasitha Abeykoon wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am *Hasitha Abeykoon* from Sri Lanka. I am a final year student of
> *Department
> of Computer Science and Engineering Department, University of Moratuwa*. I
> am interested in the idea of "*Auto Completion in Content Editors*". I have
> already read the implementation of Confluence 3.2. It is pretty interesting
> if we had that facility in XWIKI as you have suggested.

I'm glad you are interested in this project.

> As I was reading the proposal the first thought came into my mind was
> that *Google
> API's *can be efficiently used to get the search results according to the
> half typed word. If the previously used words were cached we can use them to
> *predict the word *that the user would be typing.

I don't think Google APIs are of any help here. When the user types
after the autocomplete feature has been triggered she is in fact
searching through some entities that are internal to XWiki. These
entities are for instance macro components, wiki pages, attachments of
wiki pages or image attachments. We have already good APIs to query
them, and these APIs are not that bad in terms of performance because
they query the database. Alternatively you could use Lucene, which
already indexes some of these entities.

Now, you raised an important issue: providing live suggestions on the
client side needs some sort of cache mechanism to be efficient.

> Please clarify me on these two ideas, and also please direct me to a place
> where i can get details about the high level implementation of WYSIWYG
> editor and Wiki editor.

You should start by reading these two threads
http://lists.xwiki.org/pipermail/devs/2011-March/022180.html and
http://lists.xwiki.org/pipermail/devs/2011-March/022184.html .

Hope this helps,
Marius